Applications are now open for youths between the age of 18-35 years to participate in the special Work and Learn training programme on agriculture in Abeokuta, Ogun State. This is a golden opportunity to become an expert in soilless farming.
The IFAD Agrihub Nigeria project is geared towards unemployed Nigerian youth as well as aspiring agripreneurs to build their skillsets along the employment and entrepreneurship track, aimed at increasing wage opportunities for youth and improved livelihoods in the rural economy.
The special edition of the Work and Learn Program in collaboration with the Soilless farm lab offers a solid curriculum on olericulture, networking and mentoring to help youth gain the experience and skills they need to pursue a career in the agricultural industry or start a business.
- Age: 18 – 35 years
The project targets young people belonging to this age group, especially marginalised and disadvantaged youth in rural communities.
- Interest in the project commodities and related value chain activities.
Youth who are passionate about agriculture and value chain activities.
- Innovativeness and creativity.
Presenting creative and innovative ideas and concepts for agribusiness could be an added advantage for consideration.
- Employment status.
Those who are currently unemployed or underemployed at the time of application. In addition to those who are not currently benefiting from any development project or government scheme such as N-power, FADAMA, Anchor Borrowers Scheme, Presidential Youth Empowerment Programme and others.
- Education level (at least secondary school certificate).
Beneficiaries must have at least a junior or secondary school certificate and be literate in English or the local language of the project. Agrihub intends to run an inclusive project that provides opportunities for people with low levels of education.
- Personal qualities and skills
The outcome of the project depends crucially on the quality of the beneficiaries. Particular attention is paid to personal qualities such as social skills, communication and leadership skills.
- Place of residence
Preference will be given to the place where the training takes place.
- Affiliation to a registry association or organised group.
The project will target members of youth/women groups, such as farmers’ groups, cooperatives, etc., to reach the required number of beneficiaries. Membership of such a group can be an added advantage.
- Commitment – willingness to complete the incubation programme.
Young people will be required to sign a commitment form setting out the guidelines/expectations for participation in the training.
- Entrepreneurship o Volunteering and community support.
Young people willing to participate even without incentives/benefits? More so, they must show commitment to community support and development.
- They must have access to a working mobile phone.
A working mobile phone is needed to facilitate communication with participants and to enable e-teaching methodology due to the current pandemic and the need to take safety precautions.
- Abeokuta Residence
You must currently reside in Abeokuta or have accommodation within abeokuta for 3 months.
- Health condition
Participants must be physically and mentally fit to participate in all aspects of the training. Applicants with certain disabilities are also encouraged to apply. However, this must be clearly communicated during the application period.
Special Criteria – Employment Track
- Employment status: not currently working, employed or engage in any form of job (either fulltime, part-time or contract)
- Those with at least 1year experience in vegetable farming but interested in Hydroponics and screen production system
- Interested in working within the vegetable and horticulture industry
- Ready to commit three month to this program
- Willingness to undergo internship in relevant farms
Special Criteria – Entrepreneurship Track
- Have an ongoing farm or agribusiness venture
- Interested in acquiring more skill to grow their new or existing business
- Member of horticulture agricultural cooperative or youth group who need technical or managerial capacity to strengthening their business
- Business Plan development and pitch deck support
- Support for loan documentation and application
- Starter pack or kit will not be provided
- Amplify your personal and professional growth
How To Apply
If you meet these criteria,