Save the Children Nigeria
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: BHA Program Manager
Ref No: 2200064S
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: 3 years
Team / Programme: Senior Management Team, Nigeria
Reports To: Chief Of Party (Cop) And Humanitarian Program Implementation Manager (HPIM)
Reporting To Post : Sector Integration Coordinator
- Level 3: The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3.
- We are seeking a Program Manager for our BHA funded program, Nigeria to provide support to internally displaced and host community households in Borno State.
- In order to enable people meet their immediate multi-sectoral needs, including survival food, shelter and Shelter and Settlement NFI needs, reduce the use of negative coping strategies, and increase access to safe, quality, lifesaving health, WASH, protection, and nutrition services for crisis-affected communities, SC will target households with unconditional food voucher transfers, protection, WASH, Shelter and nutrition support.
- We are currently seeking a Program Manager to lead this project in Borno, Nigeria.
- The Program Manager (PM) will be based in Maiduguri and work under the supervision of the Chief of Party (CoP) and Deputy Director Operation Humanitarian to provide technical and operational guidance, support monitoring and evaluation, and ensure quality of the project. He/she will also ensure effective financial and operational management of the project.
Working closely with the POM, DDOH and Chief of Party (CoP) BHA and Other Sector lead to:
- Administer the development and successful implementation of work plans and oversee the creation of reports and other deliverables to BHA in a timely and accurate manner.
- Oversee and support implementation through a local partner, including the supervision of proper targeting, identification, registration, and monitoring of beneficiary lists to prevent overlap with other humanitarian programs in the intervention zone.
- The purpose of the role is strategic oversight and management of the set-up, and strengthening of program implementation in SC BHA Nigeria’s newer operating locations
- Quality technical leadership and advice to the local partner around the design, implementation and monitoring of project work at state and community levels.
- Coordinate closely with other humanitarian actors and UN agencies carrying food vouchers, and food distributions for geographic mapping and to ensure program activities are in line with national and humanitarian food security priorities.
- Ensure that efficient systems are in place to support all aspects of project activity, including financial and grant management, project monitoring and evaluation, and sub grant management, and that they support the effective use of project resources in compliance with BHA regulations.
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) team to develop appropriate monitoring and evaluation plans and to capture learning opportunities around the effectiveness of voucher-based programming, and in particular, the use of e-vouchers.
- Ensure regular monitoring of the market prices and generation of monthly market assessment reports.
- Maintain close contact with the service providers facilitating the food assistance program and ensuring timely replenishment of beneficiary accounts as well as tracking beneficiary transactions.
- Ensure compliance with all grant, BHA and government provisions, and timely fulfilment of all project programmatic reporting requirements.
- Oversee timely expenditure of approved budgets, avoiding both under spending and overspending on grant line items.
Program Management & Delivery :
- Responsible for coordination of BHA program implementation both direct and indirect, and for delivery of high-quality programming on time, on budget, in line with the objectives of the Country Strategic Plan and in accordance with donor requirements
- Leading on advocacy towards implementing multi-sectoral programs using CVA as a modality of delivery
- Coordinate adherence to robust project management methodology and standardised ways of working, including through capacity building of Coordinators and SLs in work-planning and program management, and holding them accountable for key deliverables
- Ensure adherence to and appropriate responsibility for donor awards as per the Scheme of Delegation: manage the BHA budget, ensuring accurate forecasting, and effective budget management and monitoring, for example through monthly project reviews at field level
- Assist DDOH in oversight of humanitarian response portfolio with enhanced direct support to prioritised complex humanitarian responses
- Support the DDOH and SLs to lead on key delegated areas, including Partnership strategy and programing and government liaison for project sub-agreements
- Represent Save the Children to members, donors and other stakeholders as required.
- Deploy as required within or in support of prioritised humanitarian responses on a temporary basis particularly during start-up periods.
- Schedule periodic field operations support and monitoring visits to the relevant field locations, designed to observe program delivery, ensure accountability to beneficiaries, monitor controls and adherence to systems, spotlight progress and achievements, and inform learning.
- Closely monitor Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and trouble-shoot issues affecting program delivery at field level, drawing on support from CoP BHA and relevant departments within the country office
New Business Development:
- Support strategic donor engagement and resource mobilization
- Ensure new programmes and projects are built on a strong evidence base resulting from learning, drawing on needs assessments and situational analyses that include participation of children and other stakeholders
- Manage the needs/requests of SC members, donors and external partners to ensure quality results in programming collaboratively with Members to generate new opportunities and write proposals
- Introduce innovative approaches to secure flexible funding to invest in quality, evidence and learning.
Personnel and Administration:
- Supervise emergency field based project staff: conduct performance evaluations, identify staff skills development needs and assist the DDOH and CoP BHA to meet these needs, provide management support to staff as needed, and maintain office policy of respect and communication between supervisors and subordinates.
- See that all staff are aware of and understand SC policies and procedures; take appropriate disciplinary measures as needed.
- Representation and Leadership
- Represent Save the Children in humanitarian coordination fora within the State as and when required.
- Maintain good working relationships with officials and other humanitarian actors, particularly those within the relevant government agencies (State Emergency Management Agency), IOM, and UN agencies.
- Represent SC and maintain good working relationships among the international and local NGO community, among community leadership structures and community-based organizations, and with visiting donor teams and other key contacts. Keep abreast of NGO, government, and donor initiatives relevant to SC’s work.
Establish a sound MEAL system and Practice:
- Generate leadership support for MEAL and appropriate resourcing of MEAL functions so that all sectors on the program can clearly demonstrate outcomes and impact for children.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation systems are used effectively to communicate impact and performance in all programmes in the BHA Humanitarian response.
- Drive effective collaboration between MEAL staff, Member Technical Specialists, Technical Advisors and program implementation teams to develop log frames, indicators, implementation plans, quality benchmarks, monitoring and evaluation frameworks and related tools.
- Multisector Program Coordination
- Represent Save the Children in humanitarian coordination fora within the State as and when required.
- Work with Nutrition sector lead to supervise nutrition activities ensuring the team receives all the support for CMAM (OTP and Stabilization Centre) IYCF activities.
- Support all protection and WASH activities to ensure program activities are fully implemented across communities.
- Shelter and settlement needs are met in target location in an integrated approach and effectively.
- Ensure the program is fully integrated with food assistance activities, nutrition, WASH and protection while livelihoods and agricultures and provided to select HHs.
- Liaise with MEAL team to all Assessment as planned are carried out with quality and effectively.
- Work close with SCI partners for delivery of different components of the program.
- Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles
- Demonstrates strategic leadership in disaster coordination mechanisms and interagency cooperation
- Applies humanitarian principles to complex situations to generate both short and long-term organisational and sector-wide strategies
- Achieving results effectively
- Leads strategically on accountability initiatives, ensuring accountability processes are in place and achieving results
- Builds consensus and ownership around difficult decisions and/or complex courses of action
- Maintains focus on strategic issues and overall organisational and sector-wide impact
- Operating safely and securely
- Monitors security risks and ensures organisational protocols are consistently followed by staff
- Takes appropriate action and provides appropriate direction and support to team members in the event of a critical incident
- Reduces vulnerability by complying with safety and security protocols set by the organisation
- Managing yourself in a pressured and changing environment:
- Ensures that wider team remains positive and focussed on the objectives and goals in a rapidly changing environment
- Able to proactively build & maintain levels of resilience in others
- Adapts leadership approach to the situation
- Communicates humanitarian values and motivates others towards them
- Maintains simultaneously a broad strategic perspective and awareness of the detail of a situation
- Demonstrates personal integrity by using one’s position responsibly and fairly
- Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others
- Removes obstacles to ensure strategic objectives are met
- Aligns ideas and solutions to strategic imperatives
- Uses global networks to influence strategy or action
- Demonstrates managerial courage by willingness to confront difficult situations, take potentially unpopular decisions and communicate clearly to create consensus notwithstanding difference
- Creates a team environment where team members feel able to contribute, champion or challenge decisions
- Continual efforts at self-improvement in evidence
- Creates and communicates a compelling vision which inspires others
- Ensures processes are in place across the team to strengthen the capacity of staff and partners in line with individual and organisational objectives
Qualifications and Experience
- MA / M.Sc level (or equivalent field experience) in Agriculture, Rural Development, Development Studies or other relevant qualifications
- Extensive experience of working within a senior management role within a complex country programme in an emergency response or fragile state
- Previous experience of managing programme teams in large-scale first phase emergency response is essential
- Experience of M&E and beneficiary accountability systems in large complex programmes
- Experience of developing and negotiating successful partnerships with institutional donors
- Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Fluent in English.
Application Closing Date
14th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Job Category||Project /Programme Management / Project Management / Change Management Jobs in Nigeria|