We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Bilingual Secretary (ACERWC)
Requisition ID: 1499
Location: Maseru, Lesotho
Reports to: Executive Secretary
Directorate / Department: Health, Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development
Division: African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC)
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: GSA4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- The ACERWC is a human rights organ of the African Union with the mandate to promote and protect the rights and welfare of children in Africa.
- The Committee was established by the Organization of African Unity (OAU), now the African Union (AU), by virtue of Article 32 of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (The African Children’s Charter) to monitor the implementation of the Charter.
- In view of the above background, the AU invites qualified and competent applicants who are citizens of Member States of the African Union with relevant skills, competencies and experiences to submit their applications for the position of Bilingual Secretary at the Secretariat of the ACERWC based in Maseru, the Kingdom of Lesotho.
- The Bilingual Secretary shall provide secretarial and clerical support services to the assigned supervisor or the Office in general for its effective functioning.
- Provide timely operational support
- Assist in activity planning
- Prepare operational work schedules and follow up implementation
- Coordinate and/or engage in technical assistance and/or logistical work
- Assist in the creation, improvement and maintenance of operational processes and systems
- Prepare office communication and draft reports.
- Handle communication at operational level and provide update
- Assist in the compilation and maintenance of data and information for preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, activities etc.
- Type and proofread documents, reports, correspondences, messages, queries, etc. in two of the African Union working languages (preferably French and English), as may be required by assigned supervisors.
- Draft responses to routine correspondences in any of the two preferred African Union working languages for the signature of the supervisors.
- Perform routine translation of office correspondences and documents as required.
- Draft responses to routine correspondences for the signature of the supervisor and other staff, as required;
- Attend visitors and staff and provide them with basic information on relevant issues and procedures.
- Receive guests/visitors/Staff and provide them with basic information on relevant issues and procedures;
- Assist in the follow up on logistical arrangements, activity implementation and provision of updates;
- Maintain a proper filing and recording system for all incoming and outgoing correspondences and documents;
- Respond to and screen various correspondences such as telephone calls, e-mail messages and ensure follow up with supervisors, staff and partners;
- Keep an up to date diary of appointments for supervisors;
- Keep equipment in use in good condition and report on defects for maintenance and other necessary action;
- Provide day to day routine administrative supports to various work units of the assigned Units;
- Ensure availability of stationery stock, equipment and furniture in offices assigned;
- Perform reception services where required; and
- Perform any other relevant duties and responsibility as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Diploma in Secretarial Science, Administration, Office Management or similar fields with at least five (5) years relevant work experience in a Government, private sector or international organization OR
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Secretarial Science, Administration, Office Management or similar / relevant fields of study, with at least two (2) years of relevant work experience in a Government, private sector or international organization;
- Familiarity or previous experience with an organization working on human rights issues will be an added advantage.
- Excellent secretarial and office management skills;
- Knowledge of filing systems, both electronically and in hard copy, and ability to maintain official documents in an organized and professional manner
- Excellent capacity to draft office communication in two AU working languages; knowledge of the English and French languages in performing this task is required.
- Excellent capacity to work with all office computer applications, namely MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint. Knowledge and experience in additional computer office applications and working tools will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of ERP SAP will be an added advantage.
- Very good planning, organizational and negotiating skills;
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Readiness to share information and knowledge at all times, drive for results and continuous improvement;
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work autonomously and in a multi- cultural environment; able to work unsupervised on your own initiative whenever required;
- Ability to liaise with a diverse range of people and stakeholders;
- Ability to work under pressure, with adequate speed, accuracy and efficiency, within tight deadlines, in a multicultural environment;
- Excellent team player and able to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Applicants must be proficient in two of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish). English and French are the working languages commonly used in the context of ACERWC and will present an advantage. Knowledge of more than one of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
- Risk Awareness and Compliance
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating Clearly
- Trouble shooting;
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Task Focused;
- Continuous Improvement Awareness;
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of USD12,834.00 (GSA4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance USD16,813.44 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of USD10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
6th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
|Job Category||Administrative / Secretarial / Personal Assistant (PA) / Clerical / Office Assistant Jobs in Nigeria, Secretarial Jobs in Nigeria, Secretary|