JOB TITLE: Business Development Manager
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Program Development & Quality
GRADE : 3
POST TYPE: Fixed Term
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
Save The Children is looking to add a dynamic, organized Business Development Manager who is passionate about being a part of a global team of individuals committed to improving the lives of children in Nigeria.
The Business Development Manager works as part of the Program Development and Quality team to assist in proposal development, including coordinating proposal development processes and contributing to proposal writing.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Head of Business Development
Staff directly reporting to this post: N/A
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Thoroughly review solicitations/calls for funding and summarize key details for relevant individuals
- Provide BD expertise in positioning, capture planning and proposal preparation for specific opportunities with institutional donors (government and inter-governmental award issuing organizations, as well as foundations, private sector, and other awarding non-governmental organizations)
- Ensure effective Go/No-Go decision-making processes are followed through the Bid Development cycle. Make recommendations to approvers, based on a thorough assessment of opportunities against key criteria (financial considerations, strategic fit etc)
- Develop relationships with international and country based) potential consortium partners (e.g. consultancies) and meet with all these to establish synergy and opportunities to work together, securing input from technical leadership in the organisation
- On successful bids, lead and coordinate a contract mobilisation process and meeting/s with relevant staff (regional office or regional portfolio teams, technical advisors and country teams)
- Coordinate the overall development process for assigned proposals, including setting timelines for the proposal team, providing relevant templates and guidance, communicating donor requirements, and ensuring collaboration with all relevant units within the Save the Children Nigeria office
- Collate and integrate inputs from technical experts and staff into a narrative that clearly conveys proposal win themes, and importantly, is compliant with all donor instructions and requirements
- Help the proposal team to identify and address any gaps in the program design or other pieces of the proposal
- Serve as a lead or support writer on proposals, contributing both technical and non-technical content
- Collaborate with the proposal team to incorporate the suggestions of proposal reviewers
- Format and edit proposals and ensure a high-quality final product
- Gather intelligence, identify, and filter opportunities to meet the country office funding requirements and the timely production of sound and competitive proposals
- Train and mentor staff, as needed, to improve their skills in proposal development, representation to donor and partner organizations, intelligence-gathering, and marketing within the country program or portfolio
- Work with teams to complete the proposal risk assessments and share with the member.
- Research and secure new funding streams
- Support the development of the country funding strategy
- Respond effectively to information requests from donors or member country fundraising teams, maintaining a clear record of reasons for proceeding with or rejecting opportunities
- Provide support to the Country Strategic Planning process, as required.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development, and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field required.
- Minimum 5 years overall experience, with 3 years in writing and/or developing proposals in response to solicitations from donors
- Experience in negotiating business and management arrangements for bids with partner organisations.
- Experience writing reports or proposals for donors, including institutional donors (i.e. government agencies such as FCDO, USAID, GIZ/KfW, multilateral donors such as Global Fund, World Bank, EU etc.)
- Excellent writing skills and a talent for writing concisely and conceptualizing ideas for graphics that convey key information
- Experience leading or taking part in proposal development for GIZ/KfW, EU, ECHO, USAID, FCDO, other bilateral, foundations and/or corporations.
- Experience at an INGO and knowledge of some technical areas such as humanitarian assistance, health, nutrition, protection, education, livelihoods or water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Experience in budget building and ensuring compliance with an organisation’s internal finance policies and client requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with large teams and to communicate clearly
- Exceptional conceptual, analytical, writing, and editing skills, including knack for synthesizing large amounts of information into persuasive, clear language and graphics.
- Ability to consistently meet multiple deadlines.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse .
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Employee Status: Permanent