We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication and Public Information Assistant (50% Part-Time)
Job ID: 9630
Vacancy no.: ABUJA/DC/GS/2022/05
Contract type: Fixed Term
Organization Unit: CO-Abuja
- We seek to recruit a Communication and Public Information Assistant to support the implementation of the project on Elevating Women’s Participation in the Workplace in West Africa, funded by the US Department of Labour’s Bureau of International Labour Affairs (ILAB).
- The position will be located in the ILO Abuja Office, which maintains overall responsibility for the ILO’s presence and activities in four Anglophone Countries of West Africa: Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, and Sierra Leone.
- It also serves as the liaison office for Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). It supports its constituents in defining programme priorities, activities, monitoring, and overall programme delivery.
- The Communication and Public Information t Assistant will support the implementation of the project on Elevating Women’s Participation in the Workplace in West Africa. The project aims at achieving the following Outcomes:
- Outcome 1: Increased capacity of individuals, communities, and/or institutions to address2 discrimination and GBVH in the world of work.
- Outcome 2: Strengthened networks among individuals, communities, and/or institutions to address discrimination and GBVH in the world of work.
- The project will increase the capacity of stakeholders, including individuals, communities, and institutions to address discrimination and GBVH issues in the world of work.
- It will also strengthen existing networks to address discrimination and GBVH in the world of work that include government entities at all levels, businesses, communities, civil society organizations, worker organizations, and other social partners.
- In addition, the project will facilitate communication between and across stakeholders and promote collective action to address discrimination and GBVH in the world of work.
- Under the overall responsibility of the Country Director of ILO CO-Abuja, the Communication and Public Information Assistant will be responsible for coordinating the projects communication and visibility activities.
- The Communications and Public Information Assistant i will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and receive technical guidance and support from ROAF communications team, the Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work Branch (FUNDAMENTALS) and the Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Branch (GEDI).
Description of Duties
- Develop and implement a project communication strategy and a social media strategy, including development of content; curating of related content.
- Coordinate and ensure consistent media messaging and uploading of content across various channels of public communication.
- Take a lead on media engagement in the countries covered by the project, including organization of press conferences, and preparation of press kits and talking points. Liaise with media, handle interview requests and draft press releases and statements.
- Develop creative communication, visibility and awareness raising materials to showcase project achievements and document lessons learnt, including compilation of a photo library, audio-visual content, drafting information materials such as human stories, fact sheets, presentations, project flyers, brochures, feature articles, and other relevant material and ensure the dissemination of material using relevant media platforms.
- Promote different project initiatives and actions before, during and after by uploading engaging content across various channels of public communication.
- Guide the production of publications, print and online, and audio-visual products including the procurement of requisite vendors and coordination with ITC Turin and other similar service providers, wherever needed.
- Provide communication and visibility support with regards to organization of project events, product launches, press conferences, media interviews, meetings, conferences, workshops and promotion of publications/research. Give presentations and respond to a range of inquiries as required.
- Analyse campaigns and translate qualitative data into recommendations and plans for the revision of the communication strategy.
- Keep abreast of changes to communication and information management-related techniques, tools, standards, guidelines and best practices and provide guidance and deliver training to staff with a view to building knowledge.
- Provide documentation services and ensure the maintenance and update of webpages, databases and web content management systems, classifying information and ensuring consistency and compliance with applicable standards. Develop and update a media contacts/distribution list.
- Regularly monitor media output on ILO activities on the works of the projects.
- Undertake any other relevant duties requested by the Supervisor.
- Completion of Secondary School Education plus formal training in a Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or Information Management related area.
- Minimum of six (6) years of office support work experience, the majority of which relates to communication or information management support services
- Proven experience developing and implementing communications strategies through a variety of means, such as traditional, digital, and social media, and/or storytelling.
- Experience in developing communications strategies using behavioral and social-change communication, including audience segmentation and social mobilization.
- Experience working on Gender-Based Violence and Harassment (GBVH) interventions
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken) required and working knowledge of a local language of the duty station
- Good knowledge of communication and/or information management principles and concepts.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to distil complex topics into simple and compelling formats.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behavior and attitudes.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team. Demonstrate collaborative and teamwork experience.
- Ability to work independently, quickly, precisely, and take initiative and responsibility.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office applications (including word processor, Publisher, spreadsheet, presentation software and Microsoft Adobe) such as Microsoft Office.
- In-depth awareness and understanding of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including skills in researching and selection of information, and writing and editing skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail and skills in the design, layout and formatting documents.
- Excellent knowledge of print, audio-visual and online processes.
- Excellent drafting and editing skills in English.
- Good understanding of the working practices of national and international media.
- Knowledge of modern communication principles, techniques and systems.
- Ability to foster effective two-way communication and understanding and to manage and impart information to a varied audience.
Application Closing Date
2nd October, 2022 (Midnight local time)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.
- To apply, please click the link above.
- The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
- The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded.
- In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
|Job Category||Media / Broadcasting / Journalism / Content Writing / Editing / Mass Communication Jobs in Nigeria, NGO / Non-Profit Associations Jobs in Nigeria|