The Federal Republic of Nigeria, through the Department of Climate Change in the Federal Ministry of Environment, invites applications from suitable candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Elaboration of a Climate Change Adaptation Planning Communication Strategy
Type of the Contract: Individual Contract
Duration: 30 working days
The Federal Republic of Nigeria, through the Department of Climate Change in the Federal Ministry of Environment, has received a grant from the Green Climate Fund (GCF) for a project to build capacity to advance National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process in Nigeria. The grant Agreement have the UN Environment as the Delivery Partner for the project, with the role of supporting and overseeing the project implementation. The project entitled “Strengthening Nigeria’s Capacity to Advance the NAP Process” which was officially launched on the 2nd December 2021, will support Multi-Sectoral, medium to long term Adaptation planning and budgeting in Nigeria and promote the integration of climate change adaptation aspects into development planning processes and policies. Systems for developing and sharing climate risk and vulnerability information will be reinforced, and sustainable financing mechanism for Climate Change Adaptation initiatives are set to be developed.
- The objective of this project is to formulate the Nigeria’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP) with a focus on long term adaptation investment and enhancing national capacity for integration of climate change adaptation in planning, budgeting and financial tracking processes.
Objective of the Assignment
Development of a dimate change communications strategy:
- To improve awareness and understanding of the Government of Nigeria and general public on the NAP process through effective communication and education.
- To build political and public support required for the successful development and implementation of the NAP.
Scope of Work:
The scope of work will comprise the following key activities:
- Drawing on available information on climate change projections and impacts in Nigeria and taking into account the UNFCCC Technical Guidelines on NAP Process, and the draft NAP Nigeria stakeholders engagement strategy and NAP Road Map, prepare an inception report on conducting the assignment and generating a communication strategy.
- This will include a methodology, draft table of contents, rationale objectives, audiences, key messages, media options and communication products, communication expertise/services required, and action plan and budget.
- Identify target audiences (both internal and external including policy makers, ordinary men, women, youths, school children, people with disabilities, elderly in rural and urban settings etc.) for various communication activities
- Develop clear and consistent communication messages that are gender transformative to the appropriate audiences and are aligned and/or consistent with the Nigeria National Climate Change Communication Strategy
- Identify effective media (appropriate media channels, activities and products of communicating the messages to the various audiences as stated in the bullet above
- Identify message carriers or messengers including various government and private media institutions, community media and others
- Recommend communication products targeting different audiences and using appropriate media to be produced, including expertise and/ or services require to produce the communication products
- Prepare an action plan and budget for implementing the NAP Communication Strategy
- Develop appropriate mechanisms and tools for monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness and impacts of various communication activities
- Facilitate broad stakeholder engagement in the development of the Communication strategy
- Recommend a feedback mechanism for harnessing knowledge and information that can strengthen the implementation of the NAP and its future iterations.
The expected deliverables of the assignment are as follows:
- Inception report outlining how the consultant will undertake the assignment
- Draft NAP Communication Strategy which is clearly aligned and contributes to the achievement of strategic goals and objectives of the National Climate Change Communication Strategy
- Report of the stakeholder consultative/review meeting of the draft Communication Strategy
- Final NAP Communication Strategy
- Report of a Stakeholder validation meeting of the Final NAP Communication Strategy
- A post-graduate University Degree in Mass Communication or Public Relations, specializing in Development Communications, Environment Communication and/or Social Marketing
- At least 10 years of experience in communications in the development sector, preferably working with donor-funded projects and project teams
- Demonstrable communication products and editing, developmental editing, proof reading and copy-editing from past assignments that showcase experience in producing large projects
- Familiarity with international development and climate adaptation
- Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit Five (5) copies of their Proposals (Technical & Financial) in separate sealed envelopes, with the title of the Consultancy clearly marked at the back of the sealed envelope, to:
The National Adaptation Plan (NAP) Project Secretariat,
Department of Climate Change, Green Building,
Federal Ministry of Environment,
Plot 444, Aguiyi-Ironsi Street,
Note: All enquiries should be directed to: [email protected]
|Job Category||Consultancy Jobs in Nigeria|