Pact is an international nonprofit that works in nearly 40 countries building solutions for human development that are evidence-based, data-driven and owned by the communities we serve. Our vision is thriving, resilient and engaged communities leading their own development.
Founded in 1971, Pact works with partners to build resilience, improve accountability, and strengthen knowledge and skills for sustainable social impact. Pact’s integrated approach enables sustainable livelihoods, improved access to energy, natural resources management, and improved health outcomes by fostering good governance, strengthening local capacity, and engaging markets.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Good Agricultural Practice (GAP) Training
Locations: Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa & Rivers
Job type: Contract
Duration of Assignment: June – August 2022
Project: Shell-Pact Productive Use and Demand Stimulation (PUDS) Project
- Pact will strengthen rural economic development and improve the commercial viability of mini-grids in Nigeria by supporting micro-enterprises transition from diesel generators to electric motors, and by supporting residents start new productive use enterprises across at least five villages, from March 2022 to February 2023.
Main objectives of the project:
- Improve knowledge of productive use opportunities, including the economics of transitioning from diesel generators to electric motors;
- Improve business skills and financial literacy leading to increased capability of assessing the potential for productive use equipment;
- Address supply chain and product quality challenges, and
- To increase access to financing options for purchasing productive equipment.
- We envision that with the project support, local economic activity, incomes, and demand for energy will increase, which will positively impact other socio-economic indicators in the target villages, while increasing both the number of customers served by mini-grids as well as average revenue per user.
- Pact is working with mini-grid developers, and have integrated village enterprises and producing households as beneficiaries, conducted needs assessment, and established a baseline understanding of skills, to tailor appropriately trainings and other technical support.
The objectives of the consultancy engagement include:
- Development of training manuals and guides on “Good Agricultural Practice (GAP)” on Cassava, Rice and Fish Production
- Implementation of a two-day training in each community (five communities in total) on “Good Agricultural Practice (GAP)”
- Conduction of pre and post training evaluations to provide information on knowledge level of training beneficiaries.
- The consultant will report to the PUDS program manager.
- Additional support and guidance will come from Pact’s Finance and Operations Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will perform the following functions within the contracted period:
Develop training manuals on “Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)” on Rice, Cassava and Fish Production:
- This will include a 15-to-20-page training pamphlets (or booklet) on each value chain (commodity) titled “Good Agricultural Practice for Rice”, “Good Agricultural Practice for Cassava” and “Good Agricultural Practice for Fish Farming”. The manuals are expected to be in the forms of pamphlets or simple pictographic booklets, developed with simple terminologies for ease of understanding by the rural farmers and households.
The modules should include the following:
For GAP Manual on Rice and Cassava:
- Site Selection
- Land preparation
- Planting and Transplanting
- Fertilizer Application
- Weed Management
- Pest and Disease Management
- Post-Harvest Handling and Storage
- Marketing and Selling.
For GAP Manual on Fish Farming:
- Fish and Aquaculture
- Fish Breeding Techniques
- Management of Fish Diseases
- Fish Technology and Equipment
- Fish Feed Formulation and Feeding Techniques
- Best practices for Fish Processing and Storage
- Fish Marketing.
- Training manuals should use mainly of images and pictures for illustrations.
Facilitate trainings on “Good Agricultural Practice (GAP)” using the materials above:
- The trainings will be conducted in English language using simple terminologies for ease of understanding.
- The trainings will be implemented in all five communities, using two days in each community.
- Each community will be trained on two value chains (commodities) e.g. Ozuzu community will be trained on Cassava and Fish farming, Oloibiri community will be trained on Rice and Fish farming. One day will used for each value chain (commodity) training.
- Conduct pre and post training assessments: to assess the knowledge gap before the training and evaluate the level of increased knowledge after the training.
- Develop and submit detailed report: the report should illustrate the stages of the activities explained above, illustrating the methodologies and results.
- The consultant is permitted to change the terminologies and titles of the training modules mentioned in above, and advised to add any relevant topic not mentioned in this ToR.
- Developed and designed training manual as illustrated above.
- This ToR does not include printing of the materials as Pact will print all approved and final materials using official printing enterprises.
- Cost of any printed material by the consultant will not be reimbursed except on request by Pact.
- Detailed report of the activity, indicating methodologies, observations and results.
Estimated Level of Effort:
- We anticipate the level of effort to be equal to or less than 25 days.
- This is an estimated figure and will be spread within June to August 2022.
- Details will be discussed and finalized with selected candidate or firm at contracting stage.
Skills, Experiences and Qualifications
- Master’s Degree or equivalent qualification in Natural Resource Management, Economics, Agriculture, or any other Social Science field.
At least 10 years’ experience in rural development projects, trainings, and agricultural production projects.
- Demonstrated experience implementing livelihood development, agricultural production and entrepreneurship trainings in rural communities in Nigeria.
- Demonstrated experience working with rural leadership structures in Nigeria.
- Strong English communication skills.
- Willingness to consult with and accept feedback from project team members.
- Willingness to travel to remote and resource constraints rural communities in South-South Nigeria
- Current presence in Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
3rd June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified consultants and consultancy firms should submit their CV, copies of relevant registrations and certifications and Proposals (narrative and financial proposal) describing their interests in PDF or JPEG format to: [email protected] using “PUDS Good Agricultural Practice Training Consultancy” as the subject of the email.
- Individual consultants with relevant expertise are welcome to apply.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
|Job Category||Consultancy Jobs in Nigeria|