Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
- We are seeking qualified applicants for the following position for an anticipated USAID-funded 5-year Feed the Future Nigeria Livestock Development Activity in Nigeria.
- As Deputy Chief of Party I you will work as part of a team on a large project and provide oversight of a key function of the Feed the Future Nigeria Livestock Development Activity to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your leadership, management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in improving livelihoods and resilience of poor and vulnerable communities.
The Activity will potentially explore practical, cost effective, and multi-stakeholder adaptation solutions to improve livelihoods of poor and vulnerable communities in target states through:
- Improved agricultural productivity, livelihood and agroecosystem resilience through climate-smart practices;
- Improved ecological and environmental services and functions, including enhanced climate-resilient water and other resource management and supply systems in vulnerable agro-pastoral communities;
- Strengthened institutional capacity to reduce risks associated with climate-induced socio-economic losses and livelihood failures in the target states; and
- Improved and productive livestock systems to improve food security and nutrition by (potentially) improving consumption of animal source / protein foods, providing income generation opportunities, and fostering mutual relationships among targeted households and communities.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Manage a key aspect of the development, implementation and consolidation of the Feed the Future Nigeria Livestock Development Activity. Serve as a point of contact on area of responsibility to USAID as well as public, private and non-government stakeholders, when needed.
- Manager key function of the project to meet donor expectations in terms of timely and quality results and budget. Contribute to ensuring coordination between program and operations leads. Contribute to ensuring the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Contribute to the development of staffing plans and the recruitment process of senior staff.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans.
- Promote, uphold and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Help ensure compliance with USAID grants, including financial tracking and oversight of partner budgets, finance, administration and reporting to USAID.
- Maintain relationships with key staff of consortium partner organizations in regard to area of responsibility. Contribute to coordination of the roles and activities of staff from other consortium member organizations in implementation in line with CRS partnership principles.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Identify performance gaps and training opportunities for CRS and partner staff and recommend trainings and technical assistance.
- Technical project staff (TBD).
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Chief of Party, Country Representative, Deputy Country Representative – Programs, Deputy Country Representative – Operations, MEAL Manager, Project Technical staff, Finance Manager, Regional Technical Advisor for Agriculture and Livelihoods.
- External: USAID,Project partner staff, Ministry of Agriculture, otherGovernment of Nigeria stakeholders, Local Implementing Partners.
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or a relevant Technical area.
- 5 years’ relevant management and technical experience.
- 3 years experience managing donor funds. Knowledge and experience in budget management.
- List languages required to perform the job.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 30%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Very good strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Recognized technical experience and qualifications in sector
- Demonstrated experience of successful management, including management of functions of complex, multi-activity projects.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is contingent upon approved funding by the donor.
- The candidates must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
- CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Chief of Party Jobs in Nigeria