We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director General of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC)
Requisition ID: 1524
Reports to: Chairperson of the African Union Commission
Directorate/Department: Africa CDC
Number of Direct Reports: 4 staff (Direct)
Number of Indirect Reports: 5 indirect reports
Job Grade: SP3
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- The Director General of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) will serve as the Chief Executive Officer (‘the CEO’) and will oversee the delivery of the core functions and key set objectives of the organisation.
- In this regard, the Director General executes the mandate stipulated in the Statute of Africa CDC as well as any other tasks as may be assigned to him/her by the relevant governing organs.
- The Director General, in executing its mandate, shall respect and adhere to the Statute of Africa CDC and other applicable administrative and operational rules and regulations of the African Union.
The Africa CDC mandate as stated in the Statute document is as follow:
- Establish event-based surveillance in order to detect potential disease threats from informal, non-structured sources that often circulate outside the official health sector;
- Assist Member States to address gaps in International Health Regulation compliance;
- Support public health emergency preparedness and response;
- Map the regional- and country-level hazard and risk assessments for Member States.
- The Director General of Africa CDC shall be responsible for the provisions of the implementation of the strategic priorities of the Agency as stated in the Africa CDC Statute.
- He/she is responsible for the formulation and implementation of substantive work programs for the Regional Collaborating Centers and ensures that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion.
- Is responsible for the overall management of the Africa CDC;
- Implements directives from the Board and the Council of Heads of State and Government (CHSG) of Africa CDC may be applicable;
- Prepares the program, financial and operational reports of the Africa CDC;
- Drafts and submits Africa CDC’s budget, report on activities, rules of procedure and Plan of Action of the Africa CDC to the Board for approval and submission to the AU Policy Organs;
- Attends meetings of the Board and the Africa CDC Advisory and Technical Council (ATC) and act as Secretary to the Board and ATC;
- Collects and disseminate findings on disease control and prevention related research.
- Ensures the production and publication of the periodical bulletin of the Africa CDC;
- Bears final responsibility for the scientific integrity of technical data, bulletins, publications, recommendations, or guidelines issued by the Africa CDC
- Builds, directs, manages, and ensures implementation and effectiveness of the Africa CDC;
- Acts in a leadership capacity during activation of the Africa CDC Emergency Operations Center, which may include in certain circumstances, either appointing another staff member or serving as the public health Incident Manager
- Establishs and forges relationships with national public health institutions and international organizations to collaborate and facilitate the development and integration of public health initiatives and activities across broad areas;
- Performs any other functions as may be assigned in line with the objectives of the Africa CDC.
- Sets and implements a strategic agenda / mandate related to infectious diseases, surveillance including promotive, preventive, and therapeutic aspects for infectious diseases and non-communicable diseases of public health importance in Africa.
- Acts as a custodian of all records and the official seal of Africa CDC.
- Appoints officers and other employees of Africa CDC as may be delegated by the board in the prescribed manner as per the African Union Staff Regulations
- Supervises and control the administration of Africa CDC and its employee, management including disciplinary procedures as per the African Union Staff Regulations and Rules
- Authorizes payments and incur expenditures in accordance with the financial rules as prescribed the African Union Financial Rules and Regulations
- Executes deeds, documents, and contracts on behalf of center in a manner delegated by the board and as per the African Union prescribed rules and regulations
- Proposes budgetary estimates of Africa CDC in consultation with the chief financial officer for approved by the African Union Policy Organs
- Takes steps for controlling and implementation of the functions of the Africa CDC, decisions of the Heads of States and Government, the Executive Council, the Specialized Technical Committee on Health, and the Board.
- Prepares Annual Health Report (surveillance, disease control, pandemic, etc.) related to the African Continent to the Board for approval.
- Upon approval by the chairperson, negotiates grants, funding and receives donations for the benefit of the Africa CDC generally or for specific projects.
- Will perform such functions as directed and assigned by the Board.
- Acts as the de facto professional leader for the public health profession across all AU member states
- Provides advice on epidemics, disease outbreaks, preventive, control, surveillance and response of Africa CDC for any outbreak to the Board and African Union Policy Organs.
- Prepare and apply the principles and techniques of emergency/preparedness at continental and regional levels and provide support for national levels.
- Develops and monitors Emerging Infectious diseases strategy and units, the functions of which shall include:
- Surveillance/monitoring of emerging infections and conditions of public health importance via scientific and modern methods and technologies.
- Analysis / interpretation of surveillance data and information.
- Formulation of emergency response to prevent, control and manage emerging infections.
- Formulation of disease prevention programs which shall institute population-based and individual-based prevention interventions that aim to minimize the impact of infectious disease outbreaks on the loss of life and property and to reduce the risks associated with the disease in Africa.
- Support to regional entities and national governments on managing drug and vaccine strategies
- Support the provision of guidance on health promotion and health security
- Communication and Coordination/collaboration with International, Regional and National Organizations for development of strategies of disease control.
- Dissemination of information and communication with the public for implementing and mitigation strategies.
- Management of ongoing vertical disease control programs such as Malaria, Polio, HIV, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis etc.
- Management of future emerging infections special disease programs as identified by experts such as carbapenem resistant Enterobacteriaceae, drug-resistant typhoid, COVID-19 etc.
- Assesses, examines, and incorporates cutting-edge innovation (as feasible) in public health laboratory and pharmaceuticals.
- Ensures that preventive activities contained in a program include vaccination and post-exposure prophylaxis, provision of information on behavioral and health risks, counselling, nutritional and food supplementation; hygiene and health services; and screening programs for early detection of disease.
- Leads, with the assistance of the Board and all continental and national public authorities, to develop and maintain a surveillance system to monitor infections and conditions of public health importance.
- Leads Africa CDC to develop a testing and quarantine policy for the augmenting of the contact tracing efforts of exposed or infected individual.
- Ensures that Africa CDC shall take all measures within its power and capacity and provide all assistance to the governments and authorities and the public to address a health emergency or epidemic.
- Ensures that the Africa CDC establishes and categorizes levels of a health emergency or epidemic and from a time-to-time upgrade or downgrade the level of a health emergency or epidemic.
- Ensures that Africa CDC with collaboration of Board shall withdraw its declaration of a health emergency or epidemic when satisfied that the reasons for such declaration have ceased to exist.
- Ensures that Africa CDC, in the event of a health emergency or epidemic, prepares, establishes and provides screening and testing protocols.
- Coordinates / collaborates with International/National Health Organizations and ensures a scientific evidence-based recommendations to inform AU public health policy.
- Upon declaration of a state of health emergency or epidemic, shall advise and recommend measures to the Board, African Union Policy Organs, relevant authorities, and the public.
- Leads/Participates/Oversees the Declaration of Health Emergency / Epidemic of the Africa Center for Disease Control on the basis of continental, regional, and national disease surveillance data received through regional and national disease surveillance centers or reporting by health care professionals and health care institutions or due to an extraordinary event that constitutes a public health risk through the international spread of disease declare a regional or continental Health Emergency or Epidemic after having determined following: a disease or disorder presents a serious risk to the public at large; or that an outbreak of infectious disease is significant enough to warrant the declaration of a health emergency; or that an outbreak has significant potential to imminently affect continental, regional, or national security or the health and security of African citizens, domestically, or internationally, through local or imported transmission.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Degree of Doctor of Medicine or Ph.D in Relevant Medical Sciences from a recognized institute or university. In addition, to the Doctor of Medicine or a Ph.D, a Master’s Degree in public health (MPH), or epidemiology or equivalent is required.
- At least 15 years of experience in public health management, planning, or public policy development with evidence of ever-increasing levels of responsibility at the national level or above.
- At least 15 years’ experience providing scientific leadership in formulating, implementing, and evaluating both event and indicator-based surveillance;
- At least 15 years’ experience in management of high public health structure at regional or continental level.
- Several years of experience as senior official level, ideally as minister of health or permanent secretary in a Member State will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and management experience, excellent organizational human and financial management skills, very good interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to Interact with a variety of stakeholders including, at a high level and excellent report writing and reporting skills to diverse audiences and at various levels;
- Excellent strategic visioning, planning, Implementation, monitoring and evaluations and reporting skills;
- Demonstrated record of setting clear standards for accountability, probity, value for money and risk management and zero tolerance to fraud and corruption; for ensuring sound and transparent financial management; and delivering continuous improvement, impact, efficiency and effectiveness;
- Demonstrated intellectual leadership, creativity and proven ability to propose new ideas and lead on new ways of working across silos in a complementary and synergistic way for a prosperous, healthy and peaceful Africa;
- Proven track record of change management and accomplishments at the regional, national or international level with strong resource mobilization, political and diplomatic skills;
- Demonstrate clear understanding of scientific evidence and ability to translate scientific evidence into recommendations for public health policy
- Good grounding on regional and international policy frameworks and strategies on the African developmental agenda and specifically Agenda 2063 and the SDGs;
- Working knowledge of research, policy development and analysis, programs development and management, and project management.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) will be an important added advantage
- Strategic Focus
- Change Leadership ….
- Strategic Risk Management
- Developing Organizational Capability
- Building Partnership:
- Drives Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a mandate of four (4) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the mandate shall be renewable once.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 143,306 (SP3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance up to US$ 72,000.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
8th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) and a Manifesto attached will be considered. The manifesto will not have more than five pages, with Font size 12.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
|Job Category||Director / Associate Partner Jobs in Nigeria, General Manager|