United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Officer, NOB
Job No: 553602
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
For Every Child, Education
- In Nigeria, UNICEF works in a complex humanitarian and development setting to fulfill and protect children’s rights in partnership with government, civil society, children and families. UNICEF Nigeria is one of the largest UNICEF Country Offices globally.
How Can you Make a Difference?
- Under the guidance and general supervision of the Education Manager, the Education Officer supports the development and preparation of the Education programmes and is responsible for contributing to the management, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the progress of education programmes/projects within the country programme.
- Particularly, the Officer provides technical support on all aspects of capacity development of formal and non-formal education to facilitate the administration and achievement of results on education programmes/projects towards the improvement of learning outcomes for all boys and girls and youth, through alternative learning, Islamic Education and its integration into formal education initiatives, including boys and girls affected by community level degenerating safety, who are marginalized, disadvantaged, and excluded in society.
- The Officer contributes to achievement of results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM), as well as UNICEF’s Strategic Plans, standards of performance, and accountability framework.
Summary of Key Functions / Accountabilities
Support to Programme Development and Planning:
- Contribute to the preparation and updating of the situation analysis for the development, design and management of education related programmes/projects. Research and report on development trends (economic, social, health etc.) and data for use in programme development, management, monitoring, evaluation and delivery of results.
- Contribute to the development and establishment of sectoral programme goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through research, collection, analysis and reporting of education and other related information for development planning and goal setting.
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing and administering a variety of technical programme transactions, preparing materials and documentations, and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support programme planning, results-based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluation of results.
- Support the preparation, design and updating of the situation analysis for the education programmes with a focus on non-formal education to ensure that current and comprehensive data on access to alternative learning and on education issues is available to guide UNICEF’s strategic policy, advocacy, intervention and development efforts on education programmes.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal colleagues and external partners to discuss strategies and methodologies, and to determine national priorities to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programmes/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
Programme Management, Monitoring and Delivery of Results
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal colleagues and partners to collect, analyze and share information on implementation issues to support learning outcome through the improvement of delivery in schools and non-formal learning centers and support learning assessment related interventions, training and materials development for non-formal, integrated Qur’anic education (IQE) and accelerated education
- Suggest solutions on routine learning outcome and capacity development-related programme implementation and submit reports to alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decisions. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by higher management and other stakeholders.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare draft inputs particularly those related to sector capacity development and learning outcomes for programme/donor reporting.
Technical and Operational Support to Programme Implementation:
- Undertake field visits and surveys and share information with stakeholders to assess progress and refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on education related issues to support programme implementation, operations and delivery of results.
- In collaboration with the relevant specialists, provide technical leadership for training development, including revision of existing training resources for teachers and facilitators on learning programmes, delivered through the formal or non-formal education systems and settings, as well as learning outcome assessment.
- Participate in education programme meetings including programme development and contingency planning to provide technical and operational information and analysis, advice and support.
- Contribute to draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use.
Networking and Partnership Building:
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve and sustain results on education programmes.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and alliances, and support fund raising for education programmes.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) meetings and events on programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of education programmes/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF’s position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
- Contribute to the preparation and conduct of stakeholder discussions around learning outcomes, Formal and Non-Formal Education policy design and implementation, curriculum, materials and assessment.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Contribute to identifying, capturing, synthesizing, and sharing lessons learned for knowledge development and capacity development of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
- Research and report on best and cutting-edge practices for development planning of knowledge products and systems.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Education: A University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Education, Psychology, Sociology or another relevant technical field.
- Experience: A minimum of two years of professional experience in programme planning, management, and/or research in education is required.
- Experience working in a relevant role in the NW of Nigeria is considered as an asset.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in English and local language of the duty station is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is considered as an asset.
UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1).
Application Closing Date
16th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability (CRITA) underpin everything we do and how we do it.
- During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles.
- All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history.
- Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- UNICEF’s active commitment towards diversity and inclusion is critical to deliver the best results for children. For this position, eligible and suitable female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Issuance of a visa by the host country of the duty station, which will be facilitated by UNICEF, is required for IP positions.
- Appointments may also be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID).
- Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
|Job Category||Education - Higher Institution / Teaching / Lecturing / Training Jobs in Nigeria|