The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: External Relations & Partnerships Officer
Volunteer category: International UN Volunteer Specialist
Duration: 24 months
Host Entity: WHO Nigeria
Expected start date: 03 May, 2022
- The World Health Organization (WHO) African Region has embarked on a new Global Programme of Work (GPW13) and a new Programme Budget (2020 -2021). Through these two strategic documents, the region aims to deliver public health outcomes through an integrated results-based structure.
- The new focus of our work will be at the country level where we aim to reach the triple billion goal of 1 billion more people covered, 1 billion more protected and 1 billion more healthier populations. In this regard, the UN Volunteers can work at the Regional Office based in the Republic of Congo, Brazzaville or in any of our 47 country offices.
- The areas of work that can be covered include: communicable and non-communicable diseases, healthier populations, health systems and information, emergency preparedness and response, data collection and management, family and reproductive health, programme support and administration.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the External Relations & Partnership lead), the UN Volunteer will:
- Review and refine programs reporting tools in line with donor requirement;
- Coordinate all aspects of programs reporting ensuring data is of high quality and produced on time
- Collect articles, cases studies, and best practices across projects for evidence gathering and format so they are suitable for external audiences
- Conduct support visits on a regular basis and reports findings for programs;
- Provide support on public and donor related documents as required;
- Work closely with programs on proposal writing and submission
- Maintain a tracking system to monitor the current location and status off all resources (personnel, equipment, supplies, etc.) assigned to the emergency response
- Drafts proposals, donor briefings, reports and updates to ensure accurate and timely reporting
- Support the overall activities related to mobilization of resources, grants management, funding needs and gaps and the awards process.
- Maintain project calendars and milestones; analyses information on project activities and monitors progress towards targets using various project management databases
- Liaise with relevant team leads to validate the location and status of all resources
- Prepare tables, charts and other graphics required for senior management team meetings; donors’ reports, and other meetings or products as required
- Support the implementation and improvement of monitoring and evaluation tools and frameworks
- Liaise with Country Offices and Headquarters to secure the required clearance, including legal and financial clearances for proposals and donor agreements before signature.
- In coordination with the Communication Officer, effectively utilizes the communication products to inform donors about both Health Sector and WHO’s strategies and work to encourage them to fund the overall health sector response to affected populations and to WHO’s strategic plans and proposals
- Support the production of outreach/publicity material to increase donor visibility and promote engagement.
- Support the update of websites and resource mobilization platforms.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Age: 27 – 80 years
- Nationality: Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
Required Education Level:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Public Health, Business Administration, Management, Communications, International Relations or related fields.
- 3 years of experience in Grant management, donor funding, proposal development, and resource mobilization
- Document production and editing
- Working with WHO or other UN organizations would be an asset.
- Ms excel and power point
- Resource mobilization and partnership building.
Area(s) of Expertise:
- Business Management, Communication, Health.
- Required: Fluent in English
- Desirable: Basic knowledge of French.
Competencies and Values:
- Demonstrated understanding of operations relevant to World Health Organization
- Technical capabilities or knowledge relevant or transferable to World Health Organization procedures and rules; discretion, political sensitivity, diplomacy and tact to deal with clients; ability to apply good judgement; ability to liaise and coordinate with a range of different actors, especially in senior positions; where appropriate, high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; resourcefulness and willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented
- Integrity: demonstrate the values and ethical standards of the UN and World Health Organization in daily activities and behaviours while acting without consideration of personal gains; resist undue political pressure in decision-making; stand by decisions that are in the organization’s interest even if they are unpopular; take prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour; does not abuse power or authority;
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, mixed-gender environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; sensitivity and adaptability to culture, gender, religion, nationality and age; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of UN operations; ability to achieve common goals and provide guidance or training to colleagues;
- Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities;
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups;
- Flexibility: adaptability and ability to live and work in potentially hazardous and remote conditions, involving physical hardship and little comfort; to operate independently in austere environments for protracted periods.
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards World Health Organization mission and vision, as well as to the UN Core Values.
Application Closing Date
20th April, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Job Category||Public Relation / Liaison / Arbitrator / Representative Jobs in Nigeria|