We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Programme
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract type: Expatriate or national contract
Contract length: 12 months
Designation of Duty Station: Unaccompanied
Start date: As soon as possible
About the Job
- The DRC Nigeria is looking to recruit an experienced, highly- qualified and enthusiastic professional to lead the the technical coordination and strategy of DRC’s activities in Nigeria and oversee a committed team consisting of a WASH & Shelter Manager, Protection Manager, Economic Recovery Manager, Food Security & Livelihoods Manager, and Programme Development and Quality Manager
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Head of Programme (HoP) is responsible for strategic leadership, technical guidance, and management of the Programme team for DRC in Nigeria.
- The Head of Programme is responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation and is responsible for providing technical input to the implementing actors within the different sectors.
- The Head of Programme is responsible for developing policies, processes and standards within respective areas and plays a lead role in fundraising activities and external representation.
The main responsibilities and tasks of the Head of Programme are:
- Lead and manage the programme staff (including people planning, performance, well-being and development).
Project management and development:
- Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements and in close collaboration with the Area Managers.
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations
- Deliver inputs to programme strategy and identify opportunities for new projects
- Lead assessments for emergency or longer term programming in existing or new project locations
- Lead the planning and development of concept papers, budgets and project proposals with support from country team
- Ensure effective coordination and visibility of the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors
- Implement and oversee the DRC administrative guidelines and policies, safety and security procedures, logistics support and other tasks associated with efficient day-to-day running
- Serve as focal point for the development on country and sector strategies – in close collaboration with the technical leads and the Country Director.
- Increase the visibility and credibility of DRC’s program in the area and maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including donors
- Ensure correct and timely narrative and financial reporting to donor.
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team in ensuring strategic programming coherent with DRC’s operational platforms, coordinating DRC’s programme development, strengthening DRC’s programme quality, standards and learning, and enforcing DRC’s accountability and M&E frameworks.
- Represent DRC on behalf of the Country/Regional Director upon agreement with authorities, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partner
- Function as Country Director during his/her absence if necessary
- Other duties as agreed with the Country Director
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
- In addition to the above, the Head of Programme may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Country Director – but always in the scope of this job description.
- Master’s Degree in Political Science, International Development, Economics or other relevant fields.
- In lieu of the above, a Bachelor’s degree and several years of relevant experience.
- At least 7 years experience in relevant field.
- At least 4 years experience with people management
- Experience in managing program operations, including at country senior management level
- Experience in fundraising and good understanding of key donor requirements
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with effectively coordinating with national partners, local/government authorities, NGO partners, UN agencies and other relevant stakeholders.
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Proficiency in Hausa or other Nigerian languages is considered an asset but not a requirement.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Salary and Conditions
- Salary: M-G Step 0
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment.
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Application Closing Date
7th October, 2022. at midnight (GMT-time).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- However, all applicants shall take into consideration that DRC cannot offer an international work contract to a citizen of the country of assignment (in this specific case, Nigeria).
- Applications submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
- Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees.
- All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
|Job Category||Administrative / Secretarial / Personal Assistant (PA) / Clerical / Office Assistant Jobs in Nigeria|