- Job Title: Head of Social Development Programme, Nigeria
- Job Location: Abuja, Nigeria
About Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
Plan International Nigeria aims to respond effectively, rapidly, and at significant scale to the social development needs of children and families in our programme areas in Nigeria. And to this extent the post holder will be responsible for the expansion, quality and effectiveness of the social development programme in Plan Nigeria.
He/She will oversee the development and implementation of Social development programme plan (including project implementation of different projects with different institutional donor and Plan International National offices) maintain the programme master budget, representing the organisation at various clusters/networks, working groups -external as well as internal (i.e Regional Office, IH, Lake Chad Basin Unit) development actors.
Dimensions of the Role
The Head of Social Development Programmes is expected to provide strategic leadership in all areas of Social development programming. He/she is responsible for the quality and effectiveness of Plan International Nigeria’s social development programmes of Nigeria. He/she lead and manages the social development team ensuring quality programming in line with Plan International programme quality standards, reporting and knowledge management in the Social development programme. He/she reports to the Director or Programme Quality and Innovation.
Assessment, Programme Design and Planning
- Provide leadership and strategic oversight to the social development unit, serving as Plan international representative in relevant social development forums in the wider organization and externally
- Responsible for guiding, strengthening and supporting Plan Nigeria’s capacity and expertise in social development programming across all sectors.
- Coordinate the development of all project implementation plans and budgets within the framework of the agreed development response programme and strategy.
- Ensure the Director programme quality and innovation is kept informed about assessment progress, implementation and strategies, project plans, progress reports, and other significant developments
- In collaboration with the Business Development Team at the Country Office, identify funding opportunities with National Offices and lead proposal development with the Technical Specialists.
- Pro-actively network and build external relations, lead fund raising efforts and build up a portfolio of grants to finance single and multiyear projects in close coordination with the Business Development Unit.
- Lead in the development and design of all external Social development programme proposals, budgets and reports, and ensure they are completed to the highest possible standard.
- Contribute to the nexus approach implementation in Plan International Nigeria programming on close collaboration with the Emergency Response Manager.
Programme Management and Implementation
- Ensure adequate monitoring, reporting and acquittal of programme activities in accordance with Plan’s global programme strategy, policies and protocols.
- Strengthen linkages across all project units to ensure a strong, coherent program approach and encourage learnings across projects in the social development programme unit
- Regularly keep National Offices informed of program progress and key programmatic issues
- Ensure that an overall monitoring and evaluation framework is regularly updated
- Support the conduct of research and other empirical evidence gathering at the field approved by Management.
- Design/update monitoring and supportive supervision tools and other relevant documents. This will include applying Results Based Management monitoring and reporting methods, analysing baseline and end line surveys and monitoring data
General Management and Leadership
- Establish and maintain constructive working relationships with other NGOs, host government, bilateral and multilateral donors, and other principle stakeholders.
- Attend relevant inter-agency coordination and working groups/Network meetings.
- Conduct performance appraisals of the social development programme staff as required, ensure regular feedback and mentoring on individual performance.
Deadline for application submission:
23rd September, 2021.