Location: Abuja, Nigeria.
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action; helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The Human Resource Department is responsible for providing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines and support within Mercy Corps Nigeria. This includes but is not limited to Talent Acquisition & Development; employee engagement coordination; country-wide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (HMO, Group Life, etc)
General Position Summary
We are looking for an HR Administrative Assistant to perform a variety of personnel-related administrative tasks. You will support the HR department in duties like posting job ads, updating the HR database and processing employees’ requests. S/He will be responsible for ensuring adherence to HR policies and procedures, recruitment, according to Recruiting Guidelines as well as championing national hiring and national & expatriate onboarding process.
S/he will also work with the HR Manager and HR team to support the Human Resource function across MCN including employee engagement & management, performance management, employee welfare and HR project management in Abuja and to support other Mercy Corps Nigeria field offices.
The HR Assistant should be passionate about Human Resource function and will work alongside the HR Officers, HR Manager and HR Director to implement HR policies and procedures and want to help create a nourishing workplace
Ultimately, you will gain HR experience in a fast-paced work environment by supporting and improving all HR functions.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Ensuring accurate and proper record-keeping of employee information in electronic and digital format.
- Update HR databases and HRIS with relevant changes (e.g. new hires, separations, vacation and sick leaves)
- Support HR Officer learning and development plans for all MCN Offices.
- Prepare paperwork for HR policies and procedures.
- Administer HR correspondence to new and existing team members.
- Process employees’ requests and provide relevant information.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Coordinate HR projects, meetings, team bonding and training seminars.
- Collaborate with the Talent Acquisition officer to post job ads on careers pages and process incoming resumes.
- Provide orientations for new employees by sharing onboarding packages and explaining company policies.
- Ensuring that all employees are organized and satisfied in their work environment.
- Provides communication systems by identifying needs; evaluating options; maintaining equipment; approving. administrative procurement purchase orders and invoices.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
- Reports Directly To: HR Manager
- Works Directly With: HR Manager, HR Officers, Talent Acquisition Officer, All Hiring Managers, Senior Management Team, Mercy Corps operation staff, finance, program team and partner organizations.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in HR Management/ Administration or relevant field.
- 1 – 2 years of professional experience in multiple human resource disciplines specifically Recruitment, Selection, Orientation, Onboarding and Talent Management.
- Proven work experience as an HR Intern, administrative or assistant
- Hand-on experience with HR software, such as Bamboo HR, HRIS or HCM
- Computer literacy and experience with MS Office applications
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, internet searching, applicant tracking systems and use of social media for sourcing talent.
- Ability to communicate, influence and problem solve effectively across diverse cultures and geographical distances with sensitivity
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in any other Nigerian language will be an added advantage.
- The successful candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communications skills and should be an excellent listener. S/ he must have excellent analytical skills, good reasoning abilities, and sound judgment.
- S/he will also be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and will demonstrate a strong understanding of the cultural and social environment that exists both in and out of Nigeria and will have the willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- S/he will develop and maintain productive professional relationships with a broad spectrum of stakeholders within the organization and throughout the relief and development community.
- S/he will be flexible, resilient and possess the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues
LIVING CONDITIONS /ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The position will be based in Abuja, FCT and will require little or no travelling to other field locations. Given the nature of the role, working hours require flexibility, and working beyond the official closing hour might be necessary.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
- In your statement, you are encouraged to discuss any relevant experience and demonstrate your interest. Your application will be reviewed by the Mercy Corps team and shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly for interviews.
SAFEGUARDING & ETHICS
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date: Monday 5th September 2022
|Job Category||Human Resources / HR (Recruitment) Jobs in Nigeria, NGO / Non-Profit Associations Jobs in Nigeria|