Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HRH and Capacity Building Advisor – IHP
Reference ID: req14647
Project Overview and Role
- Bauchi’ s State level Human Resources for Health (HRH) Advisor will be responsible for providing leadership in human resources policies, capacity building, training, task sharing activities and supportive supervision for an upcoming USAID award in Nigeria.
- The State level HRH Advisor will provide technical assistance at the State primary health care, with private sector and community level activities.
- This integrated health project aims to contribute to reductions in child and maternal morbidity and mortality in Bauchi state, and to increase the capacity of health workforce (public and private) to sustainably support quality PHC service delivery.
- Also, the position will provide support to strengthen primary healthcare and private sector services to enhance access, referrals and linkages between the community and formal PHC system.
- The project will operate over a 5-year period.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical guidance on HRH specific interventions through PHC facility, private sector and community-based platforms. Guidance must be sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of Bauchi State and USAID.
- Provide technical leadership, and build local capacity using proven approaches on task/sharing through the revised WHO guidelines and Nigeria’s national task/shifting guidelines.
- Support the monitoring and analysis of health workforce needs, based on improved quality, completeness and timeliness of HRH data, including on production, numbers, distribution and retention of health workers, and analysis of skill mix and competencies required to meet current and future health service needs.
- Provide guidance to facility (public and private) and community-based structures (CHIPS) to enhance community-based HRH for appropriate training, mentoring and supportive supervision.
- Provide technical solutions to address and improve the shortage, maldistribution and uneven performance of state health care workers.
- Support the development and implementation of State strategic plans for Human Resources for Health that are based on best available evidence and are designed to support improvements in RMNCH+NM.
- Build-up partnerships and networks, with development partners, other USAID projects, bilateral and multilateral agencies.
- Support the development and implementation of Bauchi’s IHP strategy on HRH, within the context of the PHC strategy on health system strengthening to improve maternal and child health.
- Provide technical advice and support to State authorities as requested to ensure HRH development in accordance with health service requirements and overall health sector priorities and plans, based on best available evidence.
- Support strengthen health workforce governance, including health workforce policy and strategy; regulations and incentives, and engagement with the private sector.
- Participate in relevant multi-state activities to develop capacity in priority HRH areas, by interaction with other USAID projects. Collaborate and promote, effective partnership between health professional regulatory bodies & professional associations for both public and private healthcare providers, and among international development agencies working on HRH.
- Contribute to and coordinate with the program’s monitoring and evaluation (M&E) team on activities to ensure that the program meets set targets in accordance with national and USG standards.
- Represent program at state level stakeholder meetings and technical working groups in relation to service/quality improvement of RMNCH and related technical areas.
- Contribute to annual work planning, training plans and quarterly reports and other required technical reports.
- Contribute to timely, accurate and appropriate reporting of program activities and results.
- Ensure quality program implementation consistent with MOH Nigerian Guidelines, global best practices and USAID Nigerian Strategic Directions.
- Evaluate program progress against deliverables on a quarterly basis
- With the State Technical Director, oversee program design, implementation, quality assurance and monitoring of work plan.
- Coordinate with the other members of the technical team and NGO partners to develop and implement feasible facility and community-based approaches
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor which contribute to the achievement of program goals.
- State level HRH Advisor must be a proven leader in the field of with senior-level management experience in public health programs.
- The Advisor will have expertise and up-to-date knowledge and skills in human resources for health policy, planning, transformative education, management, retention and HR information development and use; substantial knowledge of public health and health systems, with an in-depth knowledge of the relationship between human resources and the development of health systems for PHC.
- HRH policy and practice S/he must be well recognized by the HRH community in Nigeria.
- The Advisor must be intimately familiar with the context in Nigeria and have in-country experience with USAID programs.
Additional qualifications include:
- An experienced HRH Advisor or any other closely related health care professional; other related courses (e.g. MPH, MSC, MBA or other relevant degree) will be an advantage.
- Minimum 7 years of experience working in HRH in Africa, preferably in Nigeria
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working with/or on private sector regulatory systems and/or private health sector engagement
- Demonstrated expertise in working directly with host-country senior government officials and policy makers in HRH and MNCH.
- Experience working with host-country partners, organizations, and institutions
- Strong skills in design, implementation and monitoring of program components; e.g. services, training, supportive supervision, clinical mentoring, patient counseling, advocacy and coordination.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with African experts and partners in developing technical materials and providing training to improve service delivery, advocacy and resource mobilization for expanding quality improvement of RMNCH services.
- Experience with technical leadership for programs funded by USAID and/or other donor programs in developing countries, with significant Nigeria experience.
- Strong verbal, listening, writing, and intrapersonal skills essential for effective coordination among several institutions and staff involved in a broad range of activities.
- Fluent in English, (written and oral communication) and Hausa and/or Fulfulde.
- Willingness to travel throughout Nigeria as necessary.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Job Category||Human Resources / HR (Recruitment) Jobs in Nigeria|