Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Finance Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Permanent
Team / Programme: Finance/Humanitarian
- Level 2: either the role holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or they will be working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor, legal executive); therefore a police check will be required (at ‘standard’ level in the UK or equivalent in other countries).
- The Finance Coordinator role will support the Area Office, Humanitarian Finance Manager and/or Country Finance Manager in the relevant geographic area in emergency response programmes in delivering the Finance teams’ objectives in a timely and accurate manner.
- Supervise the Finance officer(s) and Finance Assistant(s) ensure that processing and reporting deadlines are fully met; financial controls and procedures are strictly adhered to by all field office staff
- The main responsibilities of this post will vary according to the terms of reference for each assignment.
- The post-holder is likely to undertake senior deployments.
Scope Of Role:
- Reports to: Humanitarian Finance Manager
- Dimensions : Matrix reporting
- Staff directly reporting to this post: Finance Officers
- Technical responsibility: Yes
- Budget responsibility: None
Key Areas Of Accountability
- Manage the cash flow for the Area office to ensure timely and secure transfer of funds to meet programme needs, liaising with local bankers as required and provide the necessary checks and balances to ensure that money is spent effectively, efficiently and in line with donor requirements.
- Maintain robust and adequate financial internal control systems and cash management across the field office in line with SCI Finance Manual, Awards management and good accounting practices.
- Ensure sufficient cash in the field office by producing monthly cash forecasts for the Office, sending to Abuja office and following-up to make sure cash is received in time.
- Tracking of bank balance to ensure Borno bank account do not have huge balance of fund at the end of the month by ensuring only needed cash is requested for
- Reviews all Bank and Cash Payment vouchers and ensures they are properly approved, ensuring the highest standard of supporting documentation and an audit trail of workings and approval accompanies all transactions.
- Ensure all contractual payments are settled and accounted for accurately and on time.
- Review payments to employees, suppliers and contractors and recover debts from staff and third parties
- Verify the accuracy, validity, legitimacy of all payments completeness of financial documents, (purchase requests, work orders, pro forma invoices), proper coding and approval by responsible managers before payments are made while ensuring SCI creditors are paid promptly.
- Provide support to budget holders in reviewing and understanding monthly financial budget monitoring reports and follow up on any recommended action points.
- Work closely with the Awards team in ensuring donor compliance amongst the implementing partners at the field level and that audit recommendations related to Field Finance and Awards are followed up & implemented in good time and field staff fully understand and comply with the standard financial procedures
- Assist the Humanitarian Finance Manager amongst the implementing partners at the field level and that audit recommendations related to Field Finance and Awards are followed up & implemented in good time and field staff fully understand and comply with the standard financial procedures.
- Review and signs off purchase orders.
Control & Supervision:
- Take appropriate steps to minimise the risk of fraud or theft.
- Ensure the security of all cash and assets (e.g.: regular cash and bank reconciliation, fixed asset and inventory physical checks).
- Induct new staff into financial policies and procedures applicable in the field offices while ensuring that changes in policies are communicated to staff at all levels.
- Assist with the Internal and External audit preparations including putting together relevant documentation and TOR for the Audit
- Coordinate all SC awards audits and ensure complete implementation of recommendations
- Follow up on audit issues and provide appropriate response with support from Director of Finance
Staff Management, Mentorship and Development
- Manage performance of direct reports in the work area through:
- Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
- Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
- Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ work plans.
- Build the capacity of staff to monitor/ manage grants and awards as well as understand and implement compliance requirements from donors, Save the Children and/or the Government of Nigeria
- Maintain clear communication with both the functional (direct) line manager and the technical manager to foster a smooth working relation under existing matrix structure.
- Support the logistics department to coordinate all sub office-level procurement activities, basic administrative functions, and asset/property management in line with SCI policies. Help to liaise with other external officials as needed.
- Ensures that direct reports have clear roles and responsibilities, and a strong understanding of all of Donor’s and Save the Children’s regulations and policies, especially the core policies such as; Child Safeguarding Policy, Code of Conduct, Fraud & dishonesty policies, Anti-bribery and corruption policy and whistle blowing policy.
Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
- Internal: All sub and area office staff.
- External: Bank/ Auditors
- Candidates should possess relevant qualifications.
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
- We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated.
- We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Application Closing Date
4th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
- We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organization and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.
|Job Category||Accounting / Accountant / Auditing / Tax / Finance Jobs in Nigeria, Finance / Accounting / Audit / Tax Jobs in Nigeria|