Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Human Resources & Admin Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Permanent
Team / Programme: Nigeria Country Office
Contract Length: Open ended
Reports to: Humanitarian Team Lead
Staff Directly Reporting to this Post: HR Coordinator, Admin Coordinator, Admin Officer
- Level 3: A police check will be required since the role holder is responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process and supervising the staff who carry out the checks.
- Save the Children is looking for a Humanitarian Human Resources & Admin Manager to join its Nigeria country programme. The role holder will generally be responsible for the provision of effective HR and Admin services in the Borno office.
- Alternatively, they may be deployed as a field level HR advisor in a complex, large-scale emergency across Northeastern Nigeria.
- The role holder will be expected to lead on HR assessments, strategy, coordinating recruitments in humanitarian locations, developing robust systems, policy and practice on people management in the country programme.
- In most circumstances, the post-holder will be expected to mentor and/or capacity build existing country programme staff.
Key Areas of Accountability
Policies and Procedures:
- Supervise the Human Resources team in Borno to ensure support is provided to managers and staff on the interpretation and application of policies and procedures.
- Ensure all HR, Administration and Safeguarding policies and procedures manuals are implemented, and in compliance with the Nigerian government’s legal requirements and are also in line with SCI’s global policies.
- Ensure staff files and HR documentation is maintained and secure in the department’s recommended digital format.
- Ensure appropriate and adequate humanitarian HR procedures are detailed in the Country Office Humanitarian Preparedness Plan in order to enable rapid scale up.
- Ensure that staff and partners of Save the Children are aware of and adhere to the Child Safeguarding and code of conduct Policies.
Strategic Human Resources Planning:
- Design and manage staffing strategies to ensure that the organisation attracts and retains a qualified workforce capable of meeting organisational challenges in emergency contexts.
- Work closely with the program departments to ensure that adequate HR inputs are provided and incorporated during development and implementation of all humanitarian projects/programs.
- Lead long range people forecasting & HR planning for the organization.
- Institute and manage an appropriate performance management and succession planning system to ensure that the organization has a ready supply of staff with the requisite skills and competencies.
- Ensure appropriate and adequate emergency HR procedures are detailed in the Country Office Emergency Preparedness Plan in order to enable rapid scale up.
- Facilitate the HR aspects (such as deployment mechanisms) of the Country’s Emergency Response Team.
Staff Recruitment and Retention:
- Ensure appropriate recruitment, retention and succession of staff including orientation programmes; design and implementation of compensation and performance management systems relevant for both development and emergencies, and career development for staff.
- Ensure design and management of competitive and appropriate compensation and benefits policies for all employees; and conduct compensation reviews ensuring cost effective, and equitable.
- Develop and maintain appropriate job descriptions that reflect Save the Children’s dual mandate, and ensure they are evaluated according to SCI Job Evaluation Guidelines.
- Ensure through thorough review that employment terms, conditions and practices are fair, consistent, compliant with labour law and Save the Children human resource policies and best practice, and appropriate to the context.
Performance Management and Staff Development:
- Develop a culture of performance management in the Borno office where staff are held accountable and rewarded for high performance.
- Ensure a robust induction on all SCI policies and procedures for all staff, visitors, and consultants is implemented.
- Lead implementation and maintenance of performance management system that is in alignment with organizational goals.
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted regularly by supervisors; provide training and advise to managers on effective implementation of performance management.
- Analyse on an on-going basis the organisational staffing profile and, in conjunction with senior managers, advising on job holder competencies and skills in light of changing contexts and content.
- Providing guidance on staff capacity building and in formulating the annual training calendar, and offering expert facilitation of in-house training programs such as performance management workshops and orientation programmes.
- Ensure that staff have access to HR guidance on individual development opportunities arising from performance review feedback and personal career development interests.
- Monitor and advise on disciplinary matters in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development:
- Ensure that all HR and Support Services staff understand and can perform their roles in an emergency.
- Manage the HR/Support Services teams; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
- Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process. Establish result based system and follow up.
- Manage the performance of all staff in HR/Support Services work area through.
- Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations.
- Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities.
- Supervise administrative function to ensure the smooth running of the Borno office, monitor visa processes for international staff and liaison with the state government.
- Ensure that appropriate, efficient, cost-effective information technology systems are in place and in compliance with SCI Essential Standards.
- Ensure standard hard-copy and electronic filing system is in place across departments in the Borno office and develop/roll out polices and guidelines.
- Oversee office facilities management, communication tools, and office supplies – ensuring the most environmentally friendly approaches are used.
- Ensure maintenance of office facilities to achieve the best working environment possible.
- Oversee the overall maintenance of the office premises, facilities assets and equipment (physical work environment) and ensure that these are secure and efficiently utilized.
- Review and annually update all contracts and leases before forwarding them to the Country Director for signature.
- Ensure compliance with Health and Safety regulations.
- Ensure adequate security for office premises and property.
- Maintain records of insurance cover across the organization, ensuring adequate cover and keep up to date with suitability and types of cover available, conducting an annual review.
- Oversee the annual preparation of the renewal of licenses and permits in coordination with the country office Admin Manager.
- Work closely with the Safeguarding Adviser to ensure safeguarding is institutionalized, and that the country programme has a clear complaint, reporting and investigation mechanisms; compliance and accountability is effectively monitored.
- Ensure that partners, suppliers, and others associated with SCI are aware of and are compliant with the Safeguarding policy.
- Ensure all SCI employees receive through Safeguarding and Code of Conduct policy induction, and refresher training.
- Ensure Support Services and HR maintain strategic links with Government of Nigeria’s key ministries/departments at national and provincial levels, identify opportunities and ensure Save the Children’s participation in key activities of the national and provincial and local level government.
- Ensure that Save the Children policies are coherent and relevant to current policies in Nigeria.
Staff Safety and Security:
- Ensure that all safety and security minimum operating standards are met.
- Work with the Safety and Security Manager to ensure implementation of staff security guidelines and ensure periodic security assessment are carried out at the Field and project-office level and reports submitted to the Safety and Security Manager on time.
Qualifications and Experience
- Recommended minimum of 5 years’ HR managerial experience in a corporate or an INGO environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Law, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related academic discipline.
- Ability to apply HR data analytics as a decision-making tool, to predict People & Organizational trends.
- Knowledge and maintenance of HR Information Systems that meets senior management’s information needs.
- Application of talent management software and learning management systems to streamline hiring, onboarding, training and retention processes.
- In-depth knowledge of employee relations and current employment legislation in Nigeria.
- Experience in the development of strategic and operational support services plans and their implementation in a work environment over a sustained period of time.
- Ability to plan and organise a substantial workload that includes complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities in both development and emergency contexts.
- Experience in capacity building and setting frameworks for staff development.
- Demonstrated credibility with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent oral and written English combined with effective presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate leadership in a multi-disciplined team through a period of change.
- Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to supervised staff.
- High level of commitment to the principles of development and to the organizational and programmatic goals of Save the Children.
Competencies for this Role:
- Takes personal responsibility and holds others accountable for delivering our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/ organisation.
- Level required: Accomplished
Applying Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practice within and outside the organisation.
- Level required: Accomplished
Working Effectively with Others:
- Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
- Level required: Accomplished.
Communicating with Impact:
- Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust.
- Level required: Accomplished.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
Application Closing Date
30th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Job Category||Human Resources / HR (Recruitment) Jobs in Nigeria|