We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Advisor, International Matters
Job Code: 1.1.02
- Within the Secretariat, the Legal Office contributes to the conduct of the affairs of the Organization by promoting the rule of law within the Organization and in its relation with Governments, organizations, enterprises and individuals and by maintaining and defending the legal claims and interests of the Organization.
- The Office participates in the drafting and negotiations of contracts and agreements with external entities.
- It provides legal support and proposes amendments in respect of the Organization’s organs, statutes and programs as well as of financial and staff regulations.
- It monitors developments of relevant legal aspects pertaining to the energy sector, nationally and internationally, conducts research and publishes up to date legal articles on recent and emergent trends.
- It protects and advances the interests of the Organization and its Member Countries in international forums.
Objective of Position
- Under the overall supervision of the General Legal Counsel, the Legal Advisor, International Matters, provides legal advice to the Secretary General and to senior management regarding the Organization’s relation with external entities.
- He/she addresses and defends international legal claims and interests of the Organization within the scope of its Statute and follows, analyses and advises on issues of national and international legal policies of relevance to OPEC and its Member Countries.
- Identifies international legal issues of significance to OPEC, examines, studies and analyses these with a view to protecting and promoting the Organization’s interests, goals and claims.
- Reports on emerging international legal issues of significance to OPEC, draws conclusions regarding possible implications for OPEC and its Member Countries and advises on appropriate responses.
- Conducts research into multilateral agreements relating to the WTO, global climate change, competition, energy and environment in collaboration with OPEC’s Research Division.
- In close collaboration with the Environmental Matters Unit, monitors international legal developments at the multilateral level (ICN, WTO, UNCTAD, etc.) and in international legal professional associations with a view to protecting and promoting the interest of the Organization.
- Examines, studies and analyses relevant national legal systems, policies and practices in the energy sector that may impact on OPEC.
- Provides legal advice and interpretation on legal aspects of the Organization’s relations with other entities, including contractual relations, questions of liability, arbitration and claims against the Organization.
- Follows up relevant decisions of the Governing Bodies of the Organization, in particular regarding legal studies and other international legal issues of significance to OPEC
- Carries out any other tasks assigned by the relevant superiors as pertain to his/her background, qualifications and position.
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- University Degree in International Law (Masters)
- University degree: 8 years with a minimum of 3 years at the international level
- Advanced degree: 6 years with a minimum of 3 years at the international level
A combination of two or more of the following specializations:
- Public International Law;
- Competition law and Policy;
- International Environmental Law and Policy;
- International Petroleum Law and Policy;
- Comparative Energy Law;
- The Institutional Law of International Organizations;
- International Law on Foreign Investments; and
- Other relevant specializations in international law
- Communication and analytical skills
- Presentation and interpersonal skills
- Customer service orientation
- Initiative and integrity
Status and Benefits
- Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international.
- In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
- The post is at grade E reporting to the General Legal Counsel. The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post.
Applicatiion Closing Date
15th October, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to fill in an application form which can be received from their Country’s Governor (PDF) (See Nigeria address below) for OPEC or Click Here (Ms Word) to download Application Form. In order for applications to be considered, the application form and resume must reach the OPEC Secretariat through the relevant Governor not later than the closing date stated above.
NIGERIA COUNTRY GOVERNOR
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Dr. Adedapo Odulaja,
Governor for OPEC,
Office of the Minister of Petroleum Resources,
Block D, 11th Floor, NNPC Towers, Herbert Macauley Way,
Central Business District,
Click Here to Download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click Here for More Information
Note: Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 58 years.
|Job Category||Diplomacy / Legal Affairs / International Relations Jobs in Nigeria, Legal / Law Enforcement jobs in Nigeria|