The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Local Security Associate (LSA)
Job Identification: 5541
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Contract Duration: 10 months
Practice Area: Effectiveness
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chief Security Adviser (CSA) of the United Nations’ Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) the Local Security Associate assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UN personnel in the region of assignment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the CSA/FSCO in collecting, updating, and communicating information regarding the security situation in the AoR:
- Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations in the area of operation.
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the SA.
- Communicates information on security to the heads of United Nations agencies and provides host country security advice to UNDSS in the absence of the CSA, as required.
- Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies.
- May be requested to provide technical assistance at A/SMT meetings, in the absence of the CSA.
- Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the CSA/FSCO:
- Provides support in conducting security evaluations and provides advice on security measures for the residences (- Residential Security Measures – RSM) of UN staff, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security.
- Establishes and maintains warden system and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences.
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
- Provides general administrative assistance to the SA/FSCO:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents.
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country security authorities.
- Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings.
- Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists:
- Helps in the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan.
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required.
- Assists the CSA/FSCO with the monitoring of the security measures implementation as recommended in the Security Risks Management (SRM) process for the AoR
- Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets, and assists in the preparation of security reports, such as the Security Incident Report, the Security Assessments
- Provides support in organizing and conducting training courses on security awareness and preparedness and providing security orientation to newly assigned staff members. Conducts security briefings, as required.
- This will be established as project expands
Required Skills and Experience
Educational Qualification and Experience:
- Secondary education is required. University Degree or equivalent is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- A minimum 6 years of experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work is required.
- Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation.
- Experience in diplomatic security and protection is considered as an asset.
- Knowledge of host country safety codes.
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
- Physically fit.
- LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
- LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
- LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
- LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
- LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
Security Services – Security advice, planning and coordination:
- Ability to provide with authoritative advice and guidance on security management, plan and coordinate security activities
Security Services – Security information management:
- Analytical capabilities to process diverse security information and develop recommendations
Security Services – Security risk management:
- Ability to assess threats and risks, identify and oversee implementation of mitigation measures, including ability to design and test security plans
Security Services – Security incident management & monitoring:
- Ability to provide adequate response to security incidents/events
Security Services – Security crisis management & response
- Knowledge of crisis management and response arrangements as well as the ability to prepare for, respond to, support/manage security crisis events
Security Services – Security policy awareness & implementation
- Knowledge of security policy concepts and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Business Development – Integration within the UN:
- Ability to identity, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations
Application Closing Date
7th September, 2022; 23:59
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
|Job Category||Intelligence / Security Jobs in Nigeria, NGO / Non-Profit Associations Jobs in Nigeria|