Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
Location: MSF OCA, Gummi, Zamfara
Job Type: Definite Contract (3 months)
Slots: 4 Openings
Main Objective and Responsibility of the position
- Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients / beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Manage patients at an inpatient therapeutic feeding center (ITFC) in a secondary health center in collaboration with MoH MDs.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and treat complications of Severe Acute Malnutrition and Moderate Acute Malnutrition. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Follow up the evolution of the ITFC patients, through daily visits, consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Ensure rational prescription of medications and appropriate escalation or deescalation of care depending on change in the patient’s condition.
- Work on shift as per the roster in collaboration with MoH MDs.
- Maintain and follow infection prevention and control practices and assure compliance of all the staff to the general hygiene standards. Ensure that universal precautions are followed and to organise a general standard of disinfection and sterilization.
- Attend and conduct regular training for all medical and paramedical staff on Malnutrition, its complications and their management based on MSF protocols.
- Ensure that data regarding a patient is collected and entered accurately and in a timely manner and, in collaboration with the Medical Data Processing Officer, ensure its completeness. To report any discrepancies to the Medical Activity Manager.
- Uphold the dignity of the patient under their care and to practice in accordance with the principles of medical ethics.
- Be willing to take up any role and support other members of the team as and when the need arises or if requested by the Medical Activity Manager.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Medical Doctor Diploma (MBBS).
- Tropical Medicine diploma or Nutrition experience is an added advantage.
- 2 years experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training).
- Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health , obs and gyne, paediatrics, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery.
- Mission language essential; Fluency in Hausa is an added advantage
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
- People Management
- Commitment to MSF principles
- Result oriented.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2022 at 11:59 AM.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please use this link above to complete your application.
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.