The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Assistant
VA No: 071
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Green Innovation Centre for the Agriculture Programme (GIAE)
Contract Duration: Contract runs till April 2023, with possibility of extension for another three (3) years.
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
- GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn.
- Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020)
GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. Since 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently, 464 national and regional employees, 66 international employees, 6 integrated experts, and 3 development advisors are working in the country (June 2022).
- The Special Initiative One World No Hunger has been launched 2014 by the Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development BMZ with the objective to increase food security and combat poverty. Under the Special Initiative, the Global Programme Green Innovation Centre for the Agriculture and Food Sector (GIAE) aims to increase the productivity and income of smallholders by promoting the market-oriented development of agricultural value chains.
- The Global Programme places focus on the identification and fostering of innovations, dissemination of know-how and technology solutions and skills upgrading.
- The Nigeria Country module has operations in 7 states (Benue, Nassarawa, Kaduna, Kano, Ogun, Oyo, Plateau) with a target group of 200,000 farmers plus producer organizations, processing companies and input suppliers.
- The contractor AFC is responsible for implementation of large-scale trainings to farmers, the capacity development of up and down-stream companies and inclusive business linkages with farmers.
- GIZ coordinates these operations with the contractor team, provides equipment and supports the improvement of frame conditions for value chain upgrading and learning processes / exposure for partners in Germany and other countries.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- The M&E Assistant supports the GIZ GIAE project team in Nigeria, particularly the M&E unit, in planning and implementing the programme’s activities to achieve the project targets in line with the overall M&E framework.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the M&E Assistant will:
- Support the project coordinator and M&E team with relevant monitoring and evaluation tasks and activities
- Assist with administrative tasks, communications, knowledge management and event management activities
- Assist the project team in supportive tasks to prepare and implement project activities.
The M&E Assistant performs the following tasks:
Support of M&E tasks:
- Supports the M&E team in preparing and implementing M&E-related activities
- Assists in the preparations, planning, conduction and quality assurance of the yearly data collection activities of the project in the four supported agricultural value chains (Irish potato, cassava, rice, maize)
- Performs data management, cleaning and data quality assurance tasks
- Supports the review of collected data sets with the digital data monitoring and management tool Survey Solutions
- Provides data entry assistance for technical advisors
- Assists with the documentation and reporting of project indicators
- Assists M&E related virtual and on-site meetings, workshops and events (e.g. enumerator training, regular exchange meetings, validation workshops) and supports in their preparation and conduction
- Assists the M&E team in preparing the annual operational plan for M&E related activities
- Assists in reviewing reports from national and international consultants.
Support of administrative tasks, communications and event management:
- Supports the admin team in administrative tasks
- Supports the communications team in developing and designing content for communication products such as newsletters, blog posts and video scripting
- Supports the implementation and continuous improvement of the project’s internal knowledge management system
- Supports event management activities of the project
- Takes meeting minutes and prepares meeting reports
- Assists the project team in supportive tasks to design and implement project activities
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of the Project Coordinator.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Agronomy, Agricultural Economics, Crop Science and Environmental Protection, or related field.
- Up to one year of professional working experience (e.g. acquired through internships) in a sustainable agricultural development project
- Proven experience in supporting M&E-related tasks and activities such as data collection, monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate adequately with interdisciplinary/multi-institutional teams (units/research organizations, NGOs and Governmental agencies, farmers, their organizations, and donors)
- Team player and constructive attitude responding positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Advanced working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet), computer applications (e.g. MS Office), and Data Collection & Management Tools (experience with Survey Solutions is an advantage)
- Developed attitude and awareness of service delivery
- Personal integrity and accountability
- Positive, collaborative and constructive attitude to people and work
- Composed and good-humoured even under pressure
- Open to change and ability to manage complexities
- Knowledge of local Nigerian languages is an asset.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 2.
Application Closing Date
10th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: [email protected] using the Vacancy No. 071 as the subject of the email.
- This job advert is strictly open to only Internal Applicants.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
|Job Category||Social Policy, Innovation, Programme Management, Research, Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation Jobs in Nigeria|