Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse (Referral)
Job Type: Indefinite
- We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this.
- We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization.
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration.
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert the supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners, and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities:
- To arrange the admission, and follow-up of the patients referred from ZSHCP Anka, Gummi ITFC, Sokoto ITFC, and other MSF sections to the validated referral centre (UDUTH) in a timely manner.
- Keep record of patients needing further follow-up and ensure communication with such caretaker as a reminder in collaboration with the Health promotion team.
- Ensure a proper guidance or orientation to the patients and caretakers on the hospital care, diagnostic tests and treatment plan that the hospital doctor suggests.
- To be in the medical round with hospital doctors where MSF has a great number of patients and share feedback with line managers.
- To ensure that diagnostic tests are conducted, treatments purchased, and problems encountered are communicated on time to Project Medical Referent in Sokoto/Zamfara project by using a database, which is supposed to be updated on weekly basis.
- To serve as a link with the case between the referral centre (Gusau validated Hospitals, UDUTH), and the project/section that referred the patient as well as the PMR.
- To ensure proactive communication the same day with the NAM/MTL in the case of challenges or problems faced at the Hospital level. In addition, if needed, to inform the project the same day as well.
- The Referral Nurse maintains daily follow-up with each MSF-covered patient who is admitted in UDUTH Sokoto and reports on a daily basis to MSF MAM/NAM/MTL by phone or email.
- The Referral Nurse will participate in analysing bills according to investigations and medications listed on each patient’s discharge sheet, and according to the hospital standard cost list. Any discrepancy will be reported to the management of the hospital for rectification.
- To communicate with line managers in advance (at least 2 days) when MSF patients admitted is going to be discharged. Once the patient is discharged (or if death occurs), contact MSF MAM to make arrangements for the patient’s transport back to Anka or their villages. Cost for transport will be covered by MSF.
- Complete Patient Discharge summary, patient tracking sheet, remaining advance, all receipts and submit the MSF MTL for approval. Provide patients with discharge summaries of their management and follow-up treatments if required.
- To manage cash advance for transportation payment for discharged patients.
- Supply drugs to the patients according to the prescription of the managing doctors in case medications prescribed are not available in the validated hospitals, in collaboration with the Hospital requesting that medication.
- Report any problems that might be linked to the patients to the NAM/ PMR and respect the confidentiality of the patient history and medical file. In addition, ensure that the feedback is clear.
- To be aware of any support needed from the patient regarding detailed responsibilities of referral nurse (ex. Changing prescription, procedures of getting Test, X-Ray, drugs, admission, discharge, death, self-discharge).
- Ensure that Bills/Invoices from the Health facilities for referred patients are collected and submitted to the PMR with clear justification and relevant supporting documents/summary report without delay (every 5th of the month).
- Follow up with the Health Facilities for any corrections and clarifications needed from the project regarding the verification process and address them accordingly. Ensure that rectified documents are forwarded timely.
- Liaise with the hospital management in making sure blood is available for patients referred by MSF for blood transfusion in emergencies.
- Maintain good working relationship with the management of the referral hospital and the medical team (doctors and nurses) that help to facilitate the care of patients referred by MSF.
- Shall communicate with MSF MTL Sokoto for all matters regarding finance (advances) or anyone appointed by the MTL to undertake that responsibility while away.
- Shall communicate with MSF MAM for all matters regarding patient care, patient outcome and treatments. In absence of MSF MAM, MSF MTL will be the next approved contact person.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
- Essential recognized Nurse Degree / Diploma.
- Registered nurse RN, Accident, and emergency nurse, Desirable Bachelors in Science of Nursing.
- Desirable 2 years of previous experience in that position and previous experience in other NGO’s
- Local language essential. Mission language desirable
- Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles and Stress Management.
Application Closing Date
19th September, 2022 (5:00PM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will notbe considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization