We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Nutrition Sector Manager
Ref No: 2200078G
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Reports to: Head of Programmes Implementation (HOPI) with technical matrix management with the Head of Nutrition and Health at Abuja Country Office
Reporting to position: Nutrition Coordinators, Medical doctors and System strengthening Medical Officer
Grade: NAT 2
- Level 3. The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context, all posts are considered level 3.
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis.
- The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Scope of Role
- The Nutrition Sector Manager will lead nutrition staff for the humanitarian response, by providing close technical oversight, direction and capacity building. He/she will take lead in designing sectoral assessments, programme design and master budgets, coordination, development of trainings materials, fundraising, recruitment and support procurement.
- The Nutrition Sector Manager will mentor and/or capacity-build both SCI colleagues and partners. In addition, he/she shall input on strategy documents, master budgets and project reports in nutrition sector.
- The sector manager shall identify existing project implementation gaps, actively identify, and pursue new opportunities for nutrition programming in North East Nigeria.
- He/she shall contribute to the development of policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- The Nutrition Sector Manager shall ensure that nutrition Interventions are fully integrated into other sectoral interventions from the design stage and enhance coordination between sectors for enhanced nutrition outcomes.
Key Areas of Accountability
- This post focuses on emergency/humanitarian programming and not limited to any project
- The position holder will be expected to contribute to SCI’s dual mandate and support as needed.
Program Planning, Development and Support:
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programs/projects with other SCI sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.ie by Ensuring that the nutrition project beneficiaries are linked with other sector interventions and provide guidance to staff on the integration of a nutrition component into other sectors as appropriate
- Lead on nutrition technical assessments, in coordination with other SC thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs. Ensure that community assessments contribute to informing nutrition programme design.
- Contribute to Save the Children’s overall response strategy, ensuring Nutrition is not overlooked within the response, and proactively promoting high quality Nutrition technical approaches.
- Proactively support fundraising for the humanitarian nutrition sector, including the development of high quality.
- Ensure gender mainstreaming in nutrition programming; reflected in proposals, indicators and throughout the programme cycle.
- Technically supervise the implementation of nutrition strategies, assessments, proposals and programmes as necessary, and proactively promote high quality nutrition technical approaches within the response.
- Support the nutrition components of projects, ensuring quality programme delivery and appropriate deployment of strategies.
- Provide timely inputs into programme and donor reports to ensure quality reporting and in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Working closely with the HR team, lead on identifying nutrition programme staffing needs, and support recruitment, induction and training of national programme staff.
- Ensure collaboration and cooperation with other nutrition related projects in the country programme.
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) team to support the Nutrition sector, MEAL plan development and implementation-linking plan to reporting requirements; ensure activities to support accountability to affected populations are reflected in the MEAL plan.
- Provide Leadership to the team during donor visits to the field to SC’s nutrition work (OTPs and SC).
- Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives program development and contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated.
- Organize and implement capacity-building initiatives to enhance the competencies of the emergency nutrition team to promote sustainable results on nutrition related programs/projects.
- Ensure that on-going capacity building, mentoring and coaching initiatives are reflected in programme design.
- Ensure the use of appropriate training methodology and materials for Save the Children and partnering staff, based on national training packages, and support delivery of trainings, as required by the strategy.
- Link capacity building initiatives to wider opportunities identified via coordination and networks.
Documentation and Reporting:
- Ensure quality documentation and reporting for nutrition projects in the North East.
- Work with the nutrition and MEAL team to ensure quality data is produced, collated, compiled and shared
- Prepare regular/mandated program/project reports for management and donors to keep them informed of program progress.
- Build the capacities of the nutrition team to produce quality reports
- Representation, Advocacy & Organizational Learning:
- Help shape broader sector strategies, ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed, through engaging with nutrition partners (UN/NGO (eg through actively participating in inter-agency coordination forums such as the Nutrition Sector Working Group and other technical working groups), keeping informed on the nutrition situation and activities of nutrition agencies in the north-east.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark and implement best and cutting edge practices in nutrition management, coordination and information systems. Support the documentation of lessons learned, best practice and case studies to shape in-country strategies and programme approaches, and contribute to broader sector learning.
- Pro-actively identify advocacy opportunities, which link with wider organisational strategic objectives, and work to mobilise these into action.
- Develop a network of contacts with key players from amongst government, donors, international agencies and NGOs, to maintain these relationships over time
Program Finance, Logistics and Administration:
- Assist in staff recruitment and training, conduct performance monitoring in collaboration with HR, and ensure that standards and protocols are adhered to
- Review and manage program budgets and ensure that there is regular alignment of the budget in regards to expenditures
- Ensure equitable allocation of human, material and financial resources
- Coordinate very closely with logistics in order to ensure that there is no break in nutrition program supplies
- Organize and follow-up on all other procurements needed for the projects
- Demonstrate leadership in relation to Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- The post holder may be responsible for additional tasks and duties as and when required to support the overall Country Programme, regional and head office priorities.
Qualifications and Experience
- M.Sc Degree or First Degree in Public Health, Nursing, Nutrition or related health fields with a minimum of 5 years works experience of managing multiple nutrition projects in emergency context
- Strong analytical and report writing skills.
- Experience in project design and implementation.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners at various levels.
- Excellent understanding of the nutrition sector in Nigeria at both field and policy levels;
- Familiarity with nutrition donors, partners, and NGO groups.
- Practical understanding of the challenges and opportunities in realising children’s rights in Nigeria, in relation to thematic area.
- Understanding of advocacy and representation within the nutrition sector.
- Proven capacity to Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels.
- Tact and diplomacy are essential.
- Proven capacity to deliver results against objectives, reporting schedules and work plans.
- Proficient in word processing, presentations and spreadsheet computer packages.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a range of stakeholders and able to balance conflicting interests to create shared goals.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s values and mission
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Excellent spoken and written English and local language (North east of Nigeria)
- Experience in nutrition project data management and CMAM programing
- Having an operational experience will be a plus advantage.
- Experience of Nutrition programming in the North East will be an added Advantage.
Skills and Behaviours (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Works closely and constructively with many colleagues at all levels and across cultures, influencing effectively while having little formal authority and to hold peers accountable to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development.
- Proactive, forward thinker who is able to plan ahead and anticipate requirements and problems
- Maintains a calm disposition and positive outlook when working under pressure.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy as well as with others.
- Fully appreciates of the value of cooperation, both internationally and within a team.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions and cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach.
- Thinks creatively and strategically and translates strategy into practical action.
- Analyses complex information from different sources and to synthesise this information into coherent briefs and communication documents.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence. Displays consistent and excellent judgement.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills with proven experience of relationship management with stakeholders.
- Passion and commitment to the values of Save the Children.
Application Closing Date
6th October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Job Category||Medical Doctor / Officer Jobs in Nigeria, Nutritionist Jobs in Nigeria|