Job no: 544465
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up. For every child, Nutrition…
About UNICEF Nigeria
In Nigeria, UNICEF works in a complex humanitarian and development setting to fulfill and protect children’s rights in partnership with the government, civil society, children, and families. UNICEF Nigeria is one of the largest UNICEF Country Offices globally – click the link to learn more about UNICEF in Nigeria: https://www.unicef.org/nigeria/.
How can you make a difference?
Under the overall supervision of Chief of Nutrition, the IM Data, Analytics and Evidence Officer as an expert will collaborate with the government to strengthen Nutrition Information System, manage overall nutrition data/ information and provide support to the field teams and state partners for monitoring, evaluation, and supportive supervision, to ensure effectiveness and efficiency in nutrition programme. The officer will be required to generate appropriate analytics to strengthen policies, guidelines/ protocol and programmes for use within UNICEF, the UN, Implementing and Development Partners.
The incumbent will be responsible to support designing of quality nutrition data collection methodologies, surveys, polling, KAPs, Peer Data Quality Reviews, including both qualitative and quantitative data analysis. S/he will initiate, update and or maintain nutrition section databases, while using a range of data platforms such as ODK platform, RapidPro, other monitoring tools and smart phone inventory for programme monitoring and supportive supervision. Further, the incumbent will be responsible for knowledge generation and development of the program appropriate products”.
Data Systems Strengthening & Information Management
- Provide leadership on strengthening nutrition data systems (routine, surveys and surveillance) at national and sub-national levels, including enabling interoperability and digitization of data platforms
- Strengthen existing in-country data approaches and platforms for collecting, analyzing and reporting high quality nutrition data at national and sub-national levels, particularly coverage data.
- Maintain information databases and general project tools and consolidate, analyse and report/disseminate data collected throughout various assessments
- Manage relevant Nutrition data sets, including humanitarian and development data sets. Coordinate and harmonize data with relevant cluster stakeholders.
- Work with field offices to have a well-prioritized plan of information management activities
- Co-ordinate with other sections and M4R to ensure data coherence across sections
- Provide support in planning and executing data collection activities, including reviewing documents, preparing survey protocols and adopting standardized approaches and tools for nutrition/Cash Based Transfer (CBT) programming
- Provide analytics, assess trends and measure outcomes relating to achievement of project targets to support evidence-based programming.
- As and when needed, coordinate and plan for meetings, develop agendas, document minutes and share action points with all relevant persons.
- Support other IMOs in the section to compile, clean and analyse nutrition/CBT data including Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM), Vitamin A supplementation, Maternal, Infant and Young Child Feeding Nutrition, Micronutrients etc.
Project Performance Monitoring, Reporting & Evidence Generation
- Support complete, quality and timely reporting based on agreed monitoring frameworks.
- Generate high quality reports and knowledge products including presentations, publications, newsletters, etc.
- Support the preparation of quarterly, annual and adhoc reports and newsletters and share findings with stakeholders for informed decision making
- Consolidate data and draft relevant inputs for the progress and final reports for all nutrition reports and other UNICEF reports (mid-year and end-year activity monitoring, strategic monitoring questionnaires etc.).
- Conduct field visits to programme target areas to monitor the quality of data collection and reporting and provide supportive supervision as and when needed.
- Provide support for evaluation and documentation.
- Support resource mobilization activities for the nutrition section.
- Present information in understandable, effective and visually appealing tables, charts, graphs, maps, visuals and reports (such as snapshots, dashboards, gap analysis, etc.).
- Provide any other relevant support as requested by the Chief of Nutrition.
Master’s degree in social sciences, statistics, development planning, nutrition, public health, epidemiology.
Additional technical qualifications (supported with certificates) in geographic information system, information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science, Statistics, Survey, data management or related field is required.
More than five years of relevant professional work experience including field work. Experience in nutrition data management, monitoring and evaluation. Proven statistical, analytic and technical skills including designing and administrating databases, database management and data analysis using statistical packages (SPSS, STATA, etc.), high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), ability to maintain basic websites, ability to produce data summaries and visualizations, GIS knowledge an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies listed below:
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
The functional competencies required for this post are….
- Analyzing (2)
- Applying Technical Expertise (2)
- Planning and Organizing (1)
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Application Closing Date
21 Sep 2021 W. Central Africa Standard Tim