The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Vacancy No.: 079
Project:Nigerian Energy Support Programme (NESP)
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
- GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2019, we generated a business volume of around EUR 3.1 billion. Our 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff, work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 556 development workers in action in partner countries.
- Furthermore, in 2019, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the German Federal Employment Agency, placed 262 integrated experts and 515 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services. *Personnel and business figures as at 31 December 2019.
- The Nigerian Energy Support Programme (NESP) is co-funded by the European Union and the German Government – BMZ, Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development – and implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing (FMPWH) supports inter alia electrification planning in Nigeria.
- During its first phase (2013-2017), NESP, through its unit on rural electrification, supported the FMPWH and five partner states (Cross River, Niger, Plateau, Ogun and Sokoto) with electrification planning (incl. geo-data gathering, management and least-cost modelling). During its second phase (2018-2020), NESP has established an electrification planning unit that will focus on data gathering and management to provide a stronger basis for electrification modelling.
- Data gathering will be done, mainly, via field surveys (i.e. power network tracking, on-site surveys), while the results will be presented on a geospatial web portal.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- As a Procurement Officer, under the supervision of the Head of Admin & Finance and in close collaboration with the other NESP components as well as Country Office and Headquarters, your job will be to procure for goods and services according to NESP needs and in accordance with GIZ rules.
The Procurement Officer will be performing the following task in accordance with GIZ rules:
- Coordinates effectively with the NESP components and the procurement departments at Country Office and GIZ Headquarters.
- Prepares all documentation required for the procurement of goods and services, as per the technical specifications developed by the NESP components.
- Ensures completeness and quality of the procurement documents
- Assists in the management of tender processes in Country Office or HQ – preparation of adverts in newspapers, quick signature procedures, preparation of contractual agreements etc.
- Follows-up on all procurement processes to ensure their timely completion.
- Monitors the markets for goods and services.
- Documents and files completed order transactions in reference files and in DMS (in line with GIZ’s filing rules).
- Control of deliveries, Control of invoices and receipts – assures quality and materially correctness of deliveries
- Arranges for the safe transfer of goods to their destination, notifies delivery location and time processes cases of damage in transport
- Informs the NESP components on time about the status of procurement of goods, particularly in the event of delays.
- Assures complete customs declarations procedures, in the case of importation of equipment.
- Collaborates with the accounts team in invoice analysis and ensures proper preparation and execution of payment orders.
The Procurement Officer:
- Is familiar with all components of NESP, concepts and status of implementation and knows the corresponding experts and staff;
- Represents the interest of the GIZ and NESP, and always acts on their behalf; and Carries out important tasks for the Programme, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description;
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of the management.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- University Degree in Economics, Finance, Accountancy, or a related field.
Other knowledge, additional competences:
- Outstanding knowledge of procurement.
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies. (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Proficiency in English, ideally a knowledge of German
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed, corresponding measures to be agreed with management.
- Good organizational skills.
- A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility.
- Innovative and possessing a positive attitude to change.
According to GIZ salary scale for 4.
Application Closing Date
21st October, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document, with complete contact details to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Please include vacancy no. 079 in mail subject.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- GIZ is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates regadless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.