We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Assistant, Protection
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours: 35
Contract Length: 3 Months
Reports To: Protection Officer
- The Protection Assistant will support in implementing gender-sensitive community-level protection activities, protection monitoring, and information dissemination and referrals guided by Christian Aid’s policies and guidelines for managing information and relevant professional standards in protection work.
- Ensure the delivery of protection activities in the Humanitarian response
- Undertake regular field visits with the Small Holder Farmer and FSL teams to identify and address, along with the sectorial teams, potential protection concerns arising from Christian Aid’s humanitarian response.
- Prepare for and organize community consultations and community-based orientation sessions, in coordination with Christian Aid team(s) and other partners
- Participates in developing and updating the mapping of services for threats and abuses (including GBV) that IDPs and Host Community members face in Christian Aid areas of operation
- Lead and supervise assessment teams during thematic surveys, needs assessment and data collection for protection-related research
- With support of the Protection Officer, follow-up with humanitarian actors about requests and invitations for community sessions
- Monitors protection issues affecting IDPs and host population in areas of operation
- Support the teams to strategize, plan for and ensure appropriate integration and mainstreaming of protection through all programme activities
- With support of the Protection Officer, develop and update relevant Information, Education and Communication tools (leaflets, brochures, posters etc.)
- Coordinate and organize regular internal mapping of services available in the area of intervention
- Support the Protection Officer in developing safe programming and conflict-sensitive approaches to the humanitarian response
- In collaboration with the Protection Officer, ensure program staff are fully trained on existing referral systems and relevant SOPs
- Facilitate referral of protection issues to relevant service providers.
- Conduct awareness raising and sensitization of relevant Protection messages and beneficiary’s rights.
- Assist in any other related matters necessary for the execution of the project.
- The Protection Assistant will carry out all Protection activities and will be responsible for the day to day implementation of the various protection activities in the field locations under his/her responsibility under the supervision of Protection Officer.
- She/he will also coordinate local communities, in close coordination with Protection Officer and field teams.
- External: Build strong relationships with partners, networks, donors, stakeholders and community beneficiaries.
- Internal: Build strong relationship with program departments, FSL/WASH Staff, MEAL officers, program managers, M&E units and all in-country and global staff.
Applied Skills / Knowledge and Expertise
- University Degree in a relevant discipline (Law, Political Science, Social Science, Psychology or any other relevant Education profile),
- Demonstrable experience (minimum of 2 years) in working with communities in humanitarian or development contexts.
- Capacity and willingness to reside in the field location assigned to and regularly travel to other field locations where Christian Aid operates
- Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, working with communities, local civil society and local authorities.
- Previous experience in using and adapting community-led approaches.
- Good understanding and knowledge in application of do no harm, conflict sensitivity principles and IASC standards and ethics for protection work.
- Good understanding of protection concerns, including GBV issues in displacement, human rights, and international humanitarian law
- Proven analytical skills.
- Understanding of monitoring processes, learning, adaptation and evaluation
- Good levels of spoken and written English.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and to Christian Aid’s equal opportunity and gender policies
- Excellent computer knowledge and skills of using Microsoft word, power point and excel.
- A Master’s Degree
- Previous experience in protection within a humanitarian response
- Experience in working in Northeast Nigeria
- Demonstrable experience in using participatory research and participatory assessment methodologies
- Familiarity with the culture of conflict and/or disaster- affected populations, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on sanitation and hygiene matters.
- Fluency in the language of the working area (Hausa) is appreciated and the international language used in the humanitarian operation
- Considerable knowledge and experience in Child Protection is an added advantage.
You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including a generous holiday allowance and flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.
Application Closing Date
7th October, 2022.
10th October, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Project /Programme Management / Project Management / Change Management Jobs in Nigeria