Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Manager – Expanding Social Protection for Inclusive Development
Job ID: 2100093Z
Location: Kaduna / Zamfara
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team: Programme Operations
Post Type: National / International
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The incumbent will strategically lead and manage a Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) funded social protection project currently being implemented in 4 states of North-West Nigeria- Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa and Zamfara.
- He/she will be accountable and responsible for the achievement of the project’s deliverables by both SCI and its downstream partner Action Against Hunger Nigeria.
- The post-holder will also be responsible for effective stakeholder management, including developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the donor, state and federal government and development partners working in the social protection sector.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Deputy Director of Program Operations
- Staff directly reporting to this post: 4-5
- Budget responsibility: Yes
Key Areas of Accountability
Programme Implementation and Management:
- Manage and lead project related strategic liaison with federal and state governments, FCDO and Action Against Hunger (AAH) so as to ensure optimal performance of the project at state and federal levels.
- Monitor progress of project activities against the detailed implementation plan, MEAL plan and log- frame.
- Conduct periodic review meetings with relevant project and non-project teams.
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks related to the project.
- Ensure regular update of all relevant project management tools including but not limited to detailed implementation plans, risk register, procurement plan, issue log, stakeholder register, communication and knowledge management plans, MEAL plan, indicator performance tracking tool and log-frame.
- Ensure project implementation demonstrates high levels of commitment and adherence to the ethos and values of Save the Children.
- Ensure effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children
- Inspire, lead and motivate the project teams to deliver on project objectives.
- Ensure that all project assets and supplies in are maintained and utilized in a safe, secure and accountable manner.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Ensure there is an effective monitoring system in place for achieving targets in relation to programme activities, budget allocations and financial expenditures.
- Ensure proper and regular documentation of programme learning, and incorporate analysis and lessons learned into new strategies/activities and advocacy work.
- Ensure that all learning points from the project’s work are disseminated to all relevant stakeholders and audiences. In particular, work closely with relevant TAs across Save the Children in order to maximize the synergies and learning from the project.
- Lead the development of the project’s detailed budget and ensure timely development of financial reports.
- Manage the project’s budget, acting as the authorized budget-holder; ensure that all activities payments are properly approved and are made in a timely manner.
- Ensure strong financial management and compliance with Save the Children financial policy and procedures.
- Ensure effective demonstration of value for money to the project’s donor.
- Regularly analyze the project’s financial performance and develop appropriate mitigations as required.
- Lead the process of producing regular project progress reports to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent the project externally with relevant partners and stakeholders.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Line manage Senior TA’s and State team Leads.
- Support the values of SCI.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Experience, Qualifcations and Skills
- Administrative & General Skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point)
- Master’s Degree in Sociology, Development Studies, or relevant Social Sciences.
- At least seven years demonstrated experience in managing, coordinating and supervising multi-location teams working with governments and development partners.
- Demonstrable understanding of Value for Money and FCDO results agenda.
- Significant project management experience.
- Prior experience on systems strengthening projects/programmes.
- Excellent budget and financial management skills.
- Good knowledge of Nigeria’s social protection landscape, particularly current poverty alleviation initiatives at federal and state levels.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Commitment to SCI’s mission, values and approach (includes gender equality, child safeguarding and equal opportunities).
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- A Degree or professional certification in project management.
- Experience in business development/proposal development.
- Ability to coach and mentor project teams.
- Experience managing sub-grantees or downstream partners.
- Skilled in influencing and obtaining cooperation of individuals;
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice):
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
16th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online