The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme / Monitoring Associate
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Contract
Starting Date: 20-Sep-2022
Duration of Initial Contract: 4 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 4 Months
- The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affair’s (OCHA) mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to:
- Alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies
- Advocate for the rights of people in need
- Promote preparedness and prevention
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
- In December 1991, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 46/182 designed to strengthen the United Nation’s response to both complex emergencies and natural disasters. In addition, it aimed at improving the overall effectiveness of the UN’s humanitarian operations in the field.
- In response to the humanitarian crisis in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in Northeast Nigeria, the Nigeria Humanitarian Fund (NHF) was launched in February 2017 by the United Nations Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator and became operational in June 2017.
- The NHF is a multi-donor pooled fund, a critical source of predictable, quick and flexible funding to address the most urgent humanitarian needs in Northeast Nigeria. In line with the global Country-based Pooled Funds (CBPFs) guidelines, the NHF has set up a robust, four pillar accountability framework (partner capacity/performance assessment, monitoring, reporting and audits).
- The framework is set up to progressively improve fund management and increase the accountability towards the affected population, donors, and other stakeholders by introducing the risk management approach to the NHF.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall guidance of Head of NHF and direction supervision of HAP Monitoring and reporting incumbent shall facilitate and support monitoring, reporting, HFU allocations and data management activities of Humanitarian Financing Unit of OCHA Nigeria.
- Prepare periodic field missions plans.
- Conduct field missions of NHF partners as per the project logical framework in the LGAs including deep field LGAs of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
- Check project MOVs against the activities.
- Guide partners on site and recommend relevant actions for any delayed or not on trach activities.
- Prepare filed mission reports of assessed projects.
- Share feedback summaries and reports with NHF partners in time.
- Enter monitoring reports at GMS in time.
- Follow up with partners for relevant recommended actions during monitoring.
- Coordinate with NHF partners to receive narrative reports in time.
- Review reports at GMS for required revision and reports approvals.
- Make sure that approved reports have enough information in all sections and supported with relevant MOVs.
- Review projects proposal to make sure that logical framework, workplan, locations and affected population components are accurate and as per the standard of NHF guidelines.
- Follow up with partners for required revision of NHF projects.
- Collect NHF projects’ sites data.
- Perform required data cleaning.
- Prepare summaries, charts, and tables.
- Support development infographics of other relevant products.
Key Performance Indicators
Deliverables and payment milestones:
Payment Milestone 1: 25% payment on submission of:
- Monitoring of 6 NHF funded projects
- Reports of 6 project prepared and submitted at GMS.
Milestone 2: 25% payment on submission of:
- Review 10 proposals submitted by partners at GMS;
- Ensure proposals are aligned with NHF guidelines and ready for Grant agreements.
Milestone 3: 25% payment on submission of a report detailing:
- NHF Project site map developed for 2022 allocation.
- 2 Infographics developed.
Milestone 4: 25% payment on submission of a report detailing:
- Monitoring of 6 NHF funded projects
- Reports of 6 project prepared and submitted at GMS.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Science or any relevant fashion with 2 years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science or any relevant fashion with 5 years of relevant experience
- 4 years’ experience of humanitarian response including, monitoring and evaluation, assessments, reporting, data analysis, and information management.
Language Requirements and Skills:
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Knowledge of local languages of Northeast Nigeria is an asset.
- Proficiency is MS office suite.
- Knowledge of databases structure and advance excel skills are desirable.
Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and post requirements with excellence.
- Knowledge of and exposure to a range of humanitarian assistance, emergency relief and related humanitarian issues;
- Knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian assistance;
- Demonstrates analytical capacity including the ability to analyze and articulate the humanitarian and protection dimension of issues which require a coordinated UN response; good knowledge of the UN common system and humanitarian NGOs;
- Ability to identify issues and to use sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of problems;
- Demonstrates research skills, including ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources and assess impact on the humanitarian rights and protection situation in assigned country/area;
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery);
- Ability to provide guidance to new/junior staff;
- Ability to draft reports, background documents, talking points and other official communications, takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Application Closing Date
2nd September, 2022 (Midnight New York, USA).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Criteria for Selection of Best Offer
- Relevant Experience:
- Proven years’ experience of field monitoring of humanitarian projects of different sectors with UN agency or NGO. (35 marks)
- Ability to produce and review humanitarian reports. (20 marks)
- Demonstrated experience of humanitarian project design. (10 marks)
- Demonstrated experience of data management and analysis or humanitarian information management. (25 marks)
- Experience of working in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states. (10 marks)
- Total: 100
- Interested contractors must provide a technical proposal and a financial proposal based on the activities listed in the Scope of Work section.
- Submissions will be reviewed and rated based on both technical and financial evaluations, providing a weight of 70% to the technical component and 30% to the financial component. Only contractor(s) achieving at least 70% from the technical evaluation shall be considered for financial evaluation.
- Along with technical and financial evaluations, Offerors are required to provide a portfolio of work highlighting previous experience executing similar work.
- Offerors are required to clearly outline the proposed methodology and demonstrate rationale including timelines of each of the proposed activities in response to the brief provided.
- Offerors are required to provide the financial breakdown and cost of each activity listed in the ‘Assignment’ section of this TOR.
|Job Category||NGO / Non-Profit Associations Jobs in Nigeria, Project /Programme Management / Project Management / Change Management Jobs in Nigeria, Social Policy, Innovation, Programme Management, Research, Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation Jobs in Nigeria|