UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
Job Title: Re-advertisement: Research and Development Analyst
Job Location: Lagos,Nigeria
Duties and Responsibilities Under the direct supervision of Jubilee Fellows Team Lead (Crisis Prevention and Recovery Advisor), and matrix reporting to the Knowledge hub Team Lead (Data Management Specialist), the Research and Development Analyst will be responsible for the following functions and tasks:
Summary of Key Functions:
The Research and Development Analyst, under the supervision and guidance of the Fellows Team Lead (Crisis Prevention and Recovery Advisor) and in close cooperation with the Impact Learning & Monitoring Analyst, will be responsible for:
- Managing the successful implementation of knowledge management and research activities of the project;
- Strengthen knowledge production and analysis in the Jubilee Fellowship project; ensure internal and external knowledge sharing; streamline knowledge management activities in annual work plans and significantly participate in the project monitoring, evaluation, reporting and data collection;
- Document and develop knowledge products, innovative practices and lessons-learnt documents of the implementation of Jubilee Fellowship project and contribute to the exchange within UNDP and with partners.
Specific Functions/Results expected:
Knowledge building and research
- Identify key knowledge gaps in the program area and determine knowledge products that might help to address them for the project staff and project target groups/beneficiaries;
- Design the annual work plan on knowledge products for the Jubilee Fellowship project and contribute to the realization of the plan according to the guidance note on developing knowledge products;
- Contribute to conducting Fellows’ attitudes and/or perception surveys, designing performance review surveys, monitoring attendance reports, establishing feedback mechanisms and monitoring mentor/mentee interactions during the fellowship period;
- Conduct baseline, midline and end of project surveys;
- Document results achieved, lessons-learnt to reflect process issues, recommendations for similar future projects/ activities after each of the project activities conducted by the project team;
- Support documentation and sharing of success stories and failure, promising practices (good practices if formally evaluated) through concrete and in-depth analytical case studies, video and other mediums that supports the advancement of youth employment in Nigeria;
- Ensure that data is disaggregated by Age, Sex and Disability status and contributing to the development of youth employment policies;
- Work proactively with CO and project teams to identify opportunities for capturing and sharing knowledge and disseminating information about major progress and results.
Knowledge management and knowledge sharing
- Oversee the development of knowledge products in the Jubilee Fellowship project with respect to UNDP Quality Assurance Standards;
- Ensure validation of all the knowledge products developed in the framework of the Jubilee Fellowship project in line with the Guidance Note for Developing Knowledge products;
- Contribute to the maintenance of Communities of practices (CoPs) for the project and identify knowledge-sharing methodologies to respond to UNDP and stakeholders needs;
- Capture lessons learnt in the project implementation for the preservation and use of institutional memory and help inform the development of other knowledge products;
- Provide guidance to the team and partners on how to collect practical and action-oriented information grounded in quantitative and qualitative evidence;
- Engage with policy-oriented research networks that provide data, analysis, advice, and peer review support which will help UNDP to influence youth employment policies in Nigeria as a means of contributing towards the achievement of the SDGs;
- Disseminate best practices through stakeholder workshops, online platforms and listserv.
Data Analysis, Monitoring and evaluation
- Support the Impact Learning and Monitoring Analyst in conducting project monitoring, site visits and reporting;
- Maintain updated and comprehensive evidence of all project activities and project result framework with performance indicators;
- Construct relevant data analytics to demonstrate project results;
- Conduct strategic analysis using large economic and development datasets, to demonstrate project impact;
- Perform a variety of data-related duties to improve and normalize data including data cleaning, documentation, quality control, data aggregation and integration;
- Provide data, programming, analytical support, and supervision to staff in accessing and utilizing the data for specific projects;
- Design and produce related infographics to illustrate and analyze results and recommendations from empirical research;
- Document the overall experience of project work, including the research on knowledge, expertise and networks in identified areas; engagement with the partners; the support to resource mobilization, etc.; and provide documentation reports to the Fellows Team Lead (Crisis Prevention and Recovery Advisor), upon request;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
The Research and Development Analyst will report to the Fellows Team Lead (Crisis Prevention and Recovery Advisor), and may require to also have a matrix reporting to the Data Management Specialist while working in cooperation with the Impact Learning and Monitoring Analyst in ensuring the smooth run of the programme.Competencies
Innovation: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully.
- Contributes to prototyping, piloting, and evaluating lessons / feedback.
Leadership: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others.
- Actively shares knowledge.
Communication and relationship management: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
- Communicates ideas and positions with command and confidence;
- Finds common ground to solve problems.
People Management: Models independent thinking and action.
- Demonstrates behaviors of teamwork, collaboration, knowledge sharing, maintaining relationships.
Delivery: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services.
- Embraces complex challenges and opportunities for getting work done;
- Ability to embrace challenges with minimal supervision;
- Works to develop organizational awareness of UNDP’s approach to client service delivery and integrity and accountability.
Technical /Functional Competencies:
- Ability to make decision that aligns with strategy, vision and mission; to set goals and indicators, and to synthesize recommendations into usable information to inform policy, strategy and/or action.
- Ability to evaluate, transform and model data to derive relevant findings.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Knowledge of methodologies, tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting and ability to apply to practical situations;
- Implement & Manage: Exercise’s skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results;
- Implement & Manage: Exercise’s skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
- Ability to prepare quality reports;
- Technical Assistance: Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of an area of work.
Required Skills and Experience Education:
- Advanced degree in social policy, public policy, politics, development studies, statistics, political science, international relations, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years of progressively responsible experience in development research, data analytics (Bachelor degree holders);
- Strong quantitative analytical skills and ability for strong visualizations and representation of data;
- Excellent knowledge of information technology, including expert knowledge of Excel;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Prior experience with data analysis is an important asset;
- Knowledge of and previous experience with data visualization and data visualization software is an asset;
- Experience with programming languages, such as SQL, Oracle, and Python is desirable;
- Knowledge of development studies is an asset;
- Knowledge of the UN system and coordination is desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
DisclaimerImportant information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders) Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment. UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications. Applicant information about UNDP rosters Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements. Scam warning The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.