We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
Vacancy No: 085
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Market Oriented Value Chains for Job and Growth in ECOWAS (MOVE)
- On behalf of the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and with a co-funding of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is implementing the regional module “Market-oriented value chains for jobs and growth in the ECOWAS region (MOVE)”.
- The aim of the project is to significantly improve the livelihoods of small-scale rice and cashew farmers in selected West African countries by increasing the competitiveness of domestic rice and cashew supply to meet increasing regional demand.
- MOVE is implemented in, Cote, D’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone with the aim of reaching 60,000 producers and 100 processors, including artisanal processors
- Secondary beneficiaries are rural service providers, e.g. agrodealers, suppliers and operators of agricultural machinery and beekeepers.
- MOVE is implemented over three years (01/2022 – 12/2024). The planned regional module “Market-oriented value chains for jobs and growth in the ECOWAS region” will be anchored in the planned focus “Training and sustainable growth for good jobs” in the ECOWAS portfolio, but will include close interfaces to the EWOH core topic of the Nigeria portfolio.
- There is a close exchange with the existing projects in the ECOWAS and Nigeria portfolio in these priority areas.
- The module consists of five outputs:
- Output 1: The added value from rice and cashew processing in the ECOWAS region is increased
- Output 2: The economic and environmental viability of agricultural operating systems has improved
- Output 3: The marketing of regional products in the cashew and rice sector has improved
- Output 4: Good practices in promoting inclusive agribusiness business models are common/ distributed
- Output 5: Public-private cooperation for evidence-based, income- and employment-based policymaking is strengthened
- The MOVE project will provide technical support to the ECOWAS Rice Observatory (ERO).
- The ERO aims at helping key actors in the West African rice sector better coordinate policy, value chain development, financing, and R&D to work synergistically.
- The ERO would have a bottom-up structure, taking action at a regional level on the strategic priorities identified by national-level stakeholders.
- GIZ is recruiting a professional for the position of Regional M&E Advisor with the MOVE project to be based in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The M&E advisor will mainly provide technical and administrative support to the ERO Executive Secretary based in Abuja.
Responsibilities & Tasks
The M&E advisor is a professional responsible:
- To support the development and implementation of an M&E Framework for the ECOWAS Rice Observatory (ERO). (30 percent)
- To provide technical and administrative support to the ERO Executive Secretary (15 percent)
- To implement studies and evaluations (20 percent)
- To contribute to data analysis and reporting within the MOVE project context. (25 percent)
- To monitor project activities in ERO, MOVE and the Gates Foundation. (10 percent)
Tasks related to operations:
Under the guidance and technical supervision of the ERO Executive Secretary and respective team members, the expert translates the responsibilities above autonomously and efficiently into action in line with planned targets. This comprises the following tasks:
Monitoring of project activities:
- Review partner reports, validate data and feed it into the regional M&E system
- Track overall progress towards project targets and flag delays in implementation
- Provide continued M&E support to project partners (e.g. capacity building)
- Contribute to the regional M&E system by identifying challenges and formulating adjustments/improvements
Implementation of studies and evaluation:
- Draft Terms of Reference and backstop consultants
- Develop and test questionnaires for data collection efforts across a wide range of topics (yield, nutrition, farming practices, etc.)
- Program questionnaires (where necessary or appropriate) into standard data collection apps (e.g. ODK, Kobo Toolbox, etc.)
- Contribute to the preparation and the implementation of evaluations of the project
- Receive and accompany consultants and visitors
- Tackle eventual implementation difficulties in close collaboration with the M&E Manager.
Data analysis and reporting:
- Conduct statistical analysis of a variety of data sets, including data cleaning and preparation
- Synthesize finding into clear, coherent and visually appealing formats (times series, water fall charts, etc.)
- Develop and provide contributions to biannual and annual progress reports (and any other ad-hoc report) in line deadlines and requirements for content and quality
- Present and support the concepts and experiences of the project during national and international events.
Administrative management and Programme Implementation:
- Develop and maintain a work plan for the Secretariat on M&E Standards.
- Report on progress against ERO KPIs for the annual report, board requests, and general assembly meetings
- Participate, as needed, in the ERO Board & Technical Committee meetings.
- Work with technical committees to prioritize key M&E issues.
- Support the ES to track and cross-check KPIs managed at the ECOWAS Rice Observatory and national stakeholder platforms to provide quarterly updates to the ERO Secretariat and Board on progress and issues needing attention.
- Support national stakeholder platforms to establish MLE plans and KPIs aligned for harmonized and consistent reporting at the regional level for the ERO.
- Generate programme information and dashboards for tracking and depicting progress on programmes and strategy implementation against targets and key milestones.
Knowledge and stakeholder management:
- Develop and maintain a work plan for the Secretariat on M&E Standards.
- Monitor and review global and regional best practices for approaches and technologies that increase the accuracy, efficiency, effectiveness, and traceability of farm-level and supply chain information gathering and reporting.
- Develop and maintain a section of the ERO website related to knowledge management (with contractor support).
- In collaboration with the communications expert, create knowledge management products to be shared with internal and external audiences.
- Stay up-to-day on latest developments on M&E and propose new and innovative measures (specially looking at ICT tool
- Support the preparation and organization of field trips
- Establish and maintain collaborative ties with MOVE and ERO partners in the intervention countries
- Any other instructions given in furtherance of project operations and management
Required Qualifications, Competencies and Experience
- University Degree / further studies in Economics or Agricultural Economics with a strong focus on data analysis and M&E.
- At least 3 years in a comparable position, experience in M&E / value chain development / Use of ICT / Private sector development
- Working experience in the field
- Experience working in collaboration with private sector actors (companies, associations, traders).
Knowledge and Expertise:
- Demonstrated expertise developing and managing project M&E systems, including data quality control and analysis
- Excellent knowledge in the use of Microsoft Excel
- Experience in using ICT solutions for M&E activities (survey programming, etc.)
- Basic knowledge about the working mechanism of agriculture value chains (rice-specific knowledge is an asset)
- Demonstrated ability to design, manage and implement enumerator trainings and workshops
- Facilitation of discussions and workshops
- High degree of attention to detail.
- Affinity for ICT solutions
- Clear and diplomatic communication (spoken and written)
- Ability to communicate adequately with farmers, their organizations, interdisciplinary / multi-institutional teams and institutions
- Teamworker and constructive attitude in case of difficulties or conflicts
- Capacity of reflection of own work and willingness to learn
- Calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Fluency in English
- Working knowledge of French.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4.
Application Closing Date
6th October, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Please include vacancy no. 085 in the mail subject.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
|Job Category||Social Policy, Innovation, Programme Management, Research, Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation Jobs in Nigeria|