We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safeguarding Children and Young People (SCYP) Officer
- The SCYP Officer will work closely with the Child and Youth Safeguarding Technical Manager for monitoring and coordination to ensure the Safeguarding Policy, Standards and Procedures are complied with by staff and partners.
- He/she will provide technical support and training to Plan’s partners and all Plan’s departments to understand and effectively implement SCYP and its procedures.
- As a staff member of a child-centred international development and humanitarian organisation, the Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy Officer will commit to upholding Plan International’s standards and policies related to Safeguarding and Gender Equality and Inclusion.
Dimensions of the Role
- The SCYP Officer will work closely with the Child and Youth Safeguarding Technical Manager to ensure accountability, coordination and support the application of SCYP in the Plan International Nigeria (at all sector programs, Program Unit and all departments at Country Office).
- The post-holder will also monitor the SCYP application of Plan International Nigeria and its associates and directly report the cases to Country Director (CD).
- The post-holder has no people management responsibilities but is expected to work closely with the Safeguarding focal points across all Plan locations.
- To support the delivery of safeguarding training for staff and partner staff based on the training outline from GH (with coordination from the People and Culture department and Programme and partnership team/CP Specialist) to build commitment to Safeguarding in the office and minimize the risk of abuse to children.
- Ensure the provision of guidelines and material/tools for monitoring the result of orientation conducted by staff and partners on SCYP to children and the community.
- To support the Child and Youth Safeguarding Technical Manager in carrying out internal regular spot checks to partners and community and annual internal Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy audit in Plan and partners and provide coaching and technical support for them to take actions based on the findings.
- Work closely with his/her line manager to provide inputs to all sector programs development in the aspect of SCYP application based on SCYP application in the program cycle in cooperation with all sectors programs team.
Reporting and Responding:
- To act as Safeguarding focal point at the field office and work with Safeguarding focal point at PUs to file the reports on Safeguarding children and young people allegations including the case management and the follow of the cases
- Provide advice/support in dealing with alleged safeguarding issues involving Plan staff and organisational-based associates such as partners, consultants, office volunteers and sponsors and taking part in any necessary investigations base on the guidelines.
- Update reporting and response mechanism including investigation procedures based on the GH guideline and standards and orient to established response and investigation team.
- Support his/her line manager to prepare annual Top-Level Incident report for GH with support from SCYP Focal Points at PUs.
- To coordinate the implementation of the Plan’s Safeguarding Implementation standards in order to ensure safeguarding measures are integrated into activities across all departments and support the development of country-level action plans that clearly outline gaps in implementation and how these can be addressed.
- To work with the People and Culture department to support the inclusion of SCYP in all Job descriptions and during the annual performance plan and appraisal
- To support management in the SCYP risks identification online and mitigation
Knowledge management and Monitoring:
- To provide a central point for the recording of collated information on Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy implementation activity taking place across the field offices
- To support the annual SCYP implementation standard self-assessment completion and develop action points application and monitoring the application with departments and partners.
- To discuss with supervisor any challenges and concerns on SCYP application in order to address them strategically in organization.
- Perform other duties as reasonably requested by the supervisor and Plan International.
Dealing with Problems:
- Building effective working relationships and being able to communicate and influence others to ensure, sometimes at a distance.
- Providing strong facilitation and coordination for supporting to implementing partner NGOs, Plan’s programs and support department for SCYP application.
- Find ways to motivate and encourage NGO partners, Plan staff to deliver their activities in alignment with SCYP and its procedures.
- Being able to operate effectively within a complex matrix structure.
- The position is required to apply policies and guidelines to common issues to determine the appropriate response.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University Degree in Social Sciences or Rural Development, or related field.
- Good knowledge of UN CRC implementation and all forms of child abuses
- Good knowledge of Child Rights and women’s rights implementation in Nigeria and in the region
- Good knowledge of Child Protection and Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy development, implementation and monitoring
- Good knowledge and experience in governance and management of CSO partnership in (Name of Country office)
- Good knowledge of community development and updated information on social development scenarios in rural Nigeria
- 3 – 4 years experience in implementing Child Protection / other related Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy.
- Experience in working with and through partner organizations and government departments for implementation.
- Excellent in training conduction and facilitation
- Ability to coordinate a wide variety of stakeholders at different levels for SCYP implementation and monitoring.
- Ability to conduct field assessment, internal audit, spot check and monitoring.
- Proven ability to lead, motivate and influence others
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and writing in English and Khmer
- Able to analyse and solve problems independently, and make decisions based on sound judgement.
- Computer literate (MS-Excel, MS-Word, and MS-PowerPoint).
- Committed to achieving a significant and lasting positive impact on the lives of children and young people, and to securing equality for girls.
- Demonstrates flexibility, initiative and perseverance to contribute to Plan International’s purpose and strategic goals.
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity, takes responsibility for results and learns from mistakes.
- Works as an effective team member by offering information, experience and support, and valuing the contribution of others.
- Treats every person with dignity and respect and supports and empowers all people to reach their full potential.
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
|Job Category||NGO / Non-Profit Associations Jobs in Nigeria, Safety Officer Jobs in Nigeria|