Gokada is a leading technology startup in Africa’s largest economy, Nigeria, and has the potential to become one of the most impactful companies in all of Africa.
Gokada’s services include instant parcel delivery, food delivery, ride-hailing, and more. Currently headquartered in Lagos, Gokada is in the process of expanding to other cities. Our Vision is to be the biggest Super App for Africa and we aim to make African Cities easier, better and more enjoyable to live in by empowering lives of people through technology.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Software Engineer – Backend
Employment Type: Full-time
- We are looking for a Back-End Software Engineer responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and the users.
- Your primary focus will be the development of all server-side logic, definition, and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end.
- You will also be responsible for integrating the front-end elements built by your coworkers into the application.
- A basic understanding of front-end technologies is therefore necessary as well.
- Generate recyclable code libraries
- Implement ongoing security systems
- Attend regular information-sharing meetings with the front end engineers on your scrum team to expose weaknesses and problems
- Routinely inspect server code for speed optimization
- Conceptualize and implement solutions for data storage
- Configure usability of all front side applications
- Maintain a stable server with zero downtime
- Keep a backup library before any large changes to server
- Manage cutting-edge technologies to improve applications
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of designers, developers, and system administrators
- Participate in conferences and educational programs
- Follow new and emerging technologies.
Must Have Skills and Experiences:
- 3+ years of experience as a Back-end developer
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Good organizational and time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- User authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Data migration, transformation, and scripting
- Setup and administration of backups
- Outputting data in different formats
- Creating database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Proficient understanding of OWASP security principles
- Understanding of “session management” in a distributed server environment
- Very sound understanding of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and its applicability in Microservices
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
Nice to Have Skills:
- Previous startup experience a plus.
- Creative mindset.
- Passionate about teaching technical skills to others.
- Experience with the Laravel / PHP stack.
Note (Optional if based in Lagos):
You’ll have to work remotely and communicate with coworkers around the world. Hence:
- A good internet connection is essential.
- Timetables may slightly vary depending on the time zones of your teammates.
- Will have to engage in Video and Audio calls regularly.
- Handsome salary with respect to your geolocation and experience.
- Freedom to choose your workplace (as long as the video and audio call quality is satisfactory).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Gokada is an equal opportunity employer. We don’t tolerate discrimination against protected characteristics ( such as but not limited to gender, age, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status.)
- We want all employees (including executives and People Success) to treat others with respect and professionalism.