Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts, and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Value Chain Development Officer I
Locations: Geidam, Jakusko, Bade, Damaturu, Yunusari and Yusufari LGA – Yobe
Project / Programme: Programs (all projects)
Reports to: Project Manager
Duration of the Project: 8 Months
Duration of the contract: 7 months
Starting Date: ASAP
Employment Type: Full-time
Main Tasks and Duties
Work with the project Manager and the technical staff members on the design and the development of the intervention models and concept notes. Selection, development and prioritization of value chains as follows:
- Market analysis
- Mapping the value chain
- Analysing value chain technical capacities
- Analysing economic performance and benchmarking competitiveness
- Analysis of external sources of competitiveness
- Analysis of economic parameters
- Formulation of an upgrading strategy for selected value chains
- Identifying constraints to chain performance
- Value chain upgrading strategy Definition of roles and responsibilities
- Implementation of upgrading strategies Monitoring and impact assessment
- Assist the project management team in the market analysis and mapping of the value chains.
- Identify constraints and propose possible interventions in response to the addressed needs and demands.
- Support the project management on the development of the agribusiness value chain as follows:
- Business environment.
- Institutional support.
- Improving access to business development services.
- Strengthening the role and capacities of business membership organizations.
- Compliance with health, safety, quality management systems, and environmental requirements.
- Specific direct interventions and programs.
- Cluster and network development.
- Support to small and medium agri-enterprises.
- Investment promotion.
Mobilization and awareness raising about the organization, program objectives, and activities to local authorities and the population, and act as a link between the organization and the beneficiaries (at LGA level):
- Work with traditional committees to ensure the identification and selection beneficiaries for livelihood activities and provide information to ensure accountability, fairness and transparency during the implementation of activities.
- Work closely with community structures to follow up on implementation of Income Generating Activities.
- Support in the implementation of Livelihoods capacity building training for the target beneficiaries at the LGA level.
- Implement detailed work plan for Livelihoods team at LGA level activities whilst respecting the timely planning and set-up of the activities.
- Contribute to the development of project community mobilisation strategies for targeting and new needs identification in the community.
- Supervise the Implementation of sensitisation activities for targeted communities about strengthening livelihood restoration activities whilst collaborating with the State Emergency Management Authority (SEMA), Extension workers, Community Volunteers, traditional leaders and other key stakeholders in feasible livelihood restoration activities at LGA level.
- Support the Supervisor to ensure that beneficiaries’ access to the provider guarantees protection and gender sensitivity in the field key activities
- Perform any other action related with the position needed to achieve the objectives of the projects and of COOPI Nigeria if requested by his supervisor
Communication and reporting:
- Report to the Project Manager on the progress of activities and specific tasks assigned, problems encountered, the quality of relations with beneficiaries.
- Collect and Compile collected data, pictures and collect information from the field to present weekly internal reports to the Project Manager.
- Presenting the weekly achievements, problems encountered and any suggestion to improve the project implementation.
- Compile collected data and collect information from the team to present regular reports to the PM on the progress of activities, problems encountered, the quality of relations with beneficiaries and propose actions to improve the project
- Pass on any information or problems to his direct and/or indirect supervisor concerning his/her task, COOPI programs, or safety aspects.
- Provides weekly internal reporting on activities on the progress of Livelihood activities.
- Report immediately any delay, problem, or other relevant information to the PM.
Logistic & administration:
- Under the responsibility of the Project Manager contribute to the logistical and administrative organization of the activities
- Contributes to the definition of the needs in materials and tools regarding the program and the planning of interventions.
- Ensure the safety and good condition of all material provided by COOPI.
- Inform the Project Manager in case of security incidents, rumours or any security information.
- Ensure the follow-up and the proper use of materials and tools used during on-site works.
- Manage the supply of materials to the work site in collaboration with logistics department.
- Analyse the security situation in the area and inform the PM in case of security incidents, rumours or any security information.
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor / head of base.
- The main work will be in 6 LGA ‘s in Yobe State.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Bachelor’s Degree in related fields such as Agriculture Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration, and Agriculture policy.
- Must have 2 – 3 years of demonstrated experience in value chain development and market access related, and/or analysis/research of agribusiness and/or socio-economic development projects.
- Practical experience supporting the development of farmers’ and farmers’ enterprises.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with private sector players (financial institutions, exporters, buyers, traders, transporters, input suppliers, or processors)
- An understanding of climate-smart agriculture principles is preferred.
- The ideal candidate has strong abilities in agronomy, agricultural markets andvalue chain development, business planning, understanding ofmarketsystem change, flexibility, and self-initiative. The position requires frequent field travel.
- Fluency in English.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture.
- Must have 2 – 3 yearsexperience in working with value chains and market system development approaches.
- Applicants who are from Yobe or the BAY states, or have experience working in these areas are encouraged to apply.
- A strong background in the NGO sector and particularly agricultural and economic development.
- An in-depth knowledge of the Palestinian agricultural sector.
- Facilitation with the project key stakeholders including Private Sector
- Familiar with the participatory approaches and techniques.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with a team and horizontal exchange of information and ideas.
- Ability to work under pressure and with different levels of impact populations.
- Outstanding analytical, negotiation and reporting skills,both in English.
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa and Kanuri).
COOPI Salary grid (according to experience)
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Candidates who reside and have resided for years within the locations where the positions are advertised are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from and or living in the respective LGA, Yobe State will be prioritized.
- Applicants shall be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
|Job Category||Project /Programme Management / Project Management / Change Management Jobs in Nigeria|