RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030.
We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
We are seeking a highly motivated, Nigeria-based Associate to join RMI’s Africa Energy Program and help drive cutting-edge solutions to support Africa’s energy transition. The person hired for this position will initially contribute to two initiatives of the Africa Energy Program. For the Sharing the Power initiative, she/he will help rural communities and minigrid developers improve the performance of minigrids whilst unlocking socio-economic benefits for communities. For RMI’s utility-enabled DER work, the hired candidate will play a key role in ensuring DER pilots are successfully implemented during project preparation, construction, commissioning, and operations.
We expect this position to work closely with our partner minigrid developers, communities, distribution companies (DisCos) and regulators, in co-developing and implementing pilot projects to deploy DERs.
Examples of your day to day tasks may include visiting rural communities to survey and analyze community electrification status and needs; interviewing stakeholders to assess community engagement approaches; identifying, designing, and developing pilot projects with minigrid developers; recruiting partners to co-develop utility-scale DER integration, pilot projects, overseeing pilot implementation through continuous close coordination, regular meetings and visits to sites, and problem-solving support; and/or carrying out data collection and analysis to derive insights from project implementation.
Your key job responsibilities as an Associate primarily include:
- Structure and independently execute research across a broad range of topics.
- Identify new ways to collect, track and manage reliable data that sheds new light on problems and solutions in driving the clean and inclusive energy transition in Africa.
- Lead quantitative analysis and modeling activities within specific project scopes.
- Create innovative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight.
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage with external experts and partners via phone interviews, conferences, and in-person meetings.
- Travel up to 30%, primarily within Nigeria.
Your job responsibilities specific to the current initiatives include:
- Facilitate, coordinate closely and oversee on-the-ground pilot project implementation with various partners and stakeholders
- Develop and lead community and end-user (C&I, SMEs, and other types of electricity end-users) engagement efforts with RMI’s partner communities, potential customers and in coordination with partnering DER/minigrid developers.
- Conduct site visits
- Monitor and evaluate the progress of pilot projects and propose and develop corrective action when needed
- Gather data in the field by visiting existing power infrastructure facilities and reading meters/displays, visiting DisCos business or regional unit offices, and others as required
- Design and adapt survey templates as per the needs of the particular project or funders’ needs
An undergraduate degree in an applicable field such as engineering (mechanical, electrical, civil, energy, agricultural), business (marketing, finance, international), economics, computer science, mathematics, physical and social sciences.
- 2 years of cumulative work experience in the Nigerian Power OR Renewable Energy sector.
- Ability to design, create from scratch, and run Excel-based models.
- Understanding of basic financial analysis and metrics (e.g., NPV, cash flows), energy analysis (e.g., LCOE), and their application to African energy issues.
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating challenging conversations.
- Exceptional and concise writing capabilities.
- A high degree of professionalism, thoughtfulness, and respect across interpersonal interactions.
- Demonstrated initiative and accomplishment in previous work.
A graduate degree in an applicable field such as engineering (mechanical, electrical, civil, energy, agricultural), business (marketing, finance, international), economics, computer science, mathematics, physical and social sciences, OR undergraduate degree and 2-4 years of cumulative work experience and excellent work references.
- Experience designing, implementing, and/or overseeing renewable energy projects in remote communities with a demonstrable track record in community engagement activities.
- Experience working with distribution companies in Nigeria with a deep understanding of the electricity industry, including utility and regulatory models.
- Experience working with distribution networks (LV and MV), and interconnection of DERs into utility distribution networks.
- Prior experience in consulting, project management, or other related fields.
- Ability to stick with a problem through resolution but also knowing when to ask for help.
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines and take risks by exploring and testing new ideas.
- Ability to communicate effectively, proficiency in multiple local Nigerian languages is an added advantage.
Please note that this position requires you to be located and have work authorization in Abuja, Nigeria.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
Salary to be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
You would also have an additional 5% bonus target!
RMI provides a comprehensive benefits package that will be based upon the statutory benefits per the country of residence.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision-makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
JOB CODE: 1000715
|Job Category||NGO / Non-Profit Associations Jobs in Nigeria, Project /Programme Management / Project Management / Change Management Jobs in Nigeria|