The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist
Ref No: DDG-R4D/AS/AME/06/22
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Duty Station: IITA Headquarters, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the internationally recruited position of Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist.
- The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across subSaharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a globalagriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
- IITA seeks to recruit an Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist. The overall objective of the position is to lead strategic and applied research on market economics on IITA mandate crops and related activities. The successful candidate will work in collaboration with other social scientists and biophysical scientists as needed, such as agronomists, crop breeders, soil scientists, and IPM scientists. He/she will be a member of the IITA Social Science and Agribusiness Core Competency. He/she will report to the Senior Agricultural Economist and Director of Western Africa Hub.
- Conduct market economic studies of commodities along the value chain.
- Monitor economic changes in agriculture in relation to the markets and vice versa.
- Apply methods and procedures to conduct different types of market surveys and value chain assessments.
- Use as well as develop various econometric modeling techniques to develop forecasts.
- Apply models of economic behavior to agricultural markets changes and developments.
- Promote market development using experimental economic methods.
- Support the development of business plans for project and activities in commodity value chains.
- Establish and foster relationships and linkages with partners in national agricultural research and extension systems, the private sector, and Advanced Research Institutes.
- Provide technical backstopping and assistance in building the capacity of national programs in research on market economics.
- Mentor and backstop graduate students involved in related research.
- Publish scientific outputs in peer-reviewed IF journals and others (e.g., technical reports, IITA bulletins, or social media and books or book chapters).
- Contribute to resource mobilization through the development of concept notes and proposals in collaboration with others.
- Perform any other job-related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- The candidate should possess a Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics, Applied Economics, or other relevant fields from a highly recognized university and have work experience of at least three years in markets economic studies relating to agricultural issues, preferably in Africa.
- Good knowledge of market studies.
- Competence in the development of socio-economic and market surveys.
- Ability to perform a thoughtful, critical analysis of market economics-related data.
- Conversant with tools and approaches applied in market studies.
- Knowledge and experience with economic evaluation of agricultural technologies.
- Familiarity with statistical software used in market studies.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in market-related journals.
- Experience with resource mobilization.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership, mentoring, management, interpersonal, and team-building skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa is an added advantage.
- The initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- Applications must include a covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
- The application should be addressed to the Head of Human Resources
- The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
|Job Category||Sales / Retail / Marketing / Business Development / Analysis Jobs in Nigeria|