Engineering is the application of math and science to solve problems. Engineers conduct research on how things work and find practical uses for scientific discovery. In the current world, engineers do not only build giant structures like the International Space Station, but they also build maps of the human genome and, even better, smaller computer chips.
Engineering is the foundation of STEM education, an interdisciplinary curriculum designed to inspire students to learn science, engineering, technology, and math.
The Job of an Engineer
Engineers are usually involved in the evaluation, design, development, testing, inspection, modification, and maintenance of a broad range of products, structures, and systems, from recommending materials and processes to overseeing manufacture and construction.
The Importance of Engineering
Engineering has been part of human history for thousands of years. However, with increasing knowledge and understanding of science and mathematics, our technical knowledge and skills have also improved.ADVERTISEMENT
The most improved technologies, along with created scientific principles, apply innovative solutions and innovations to real challenges. It’s difficult to highlight the importance of engineering in human history, from developing transportation systems to propelling our homes.
The Use of Engineering
- Management and Other Uses
- Transportation and Communication
Types of Engineering
Conventional engineering has been divided into four wide disciplines of chemical, electrical, civil, and mechanical engineering, with different fields within each discipline covering different areas, vehicles, and propulsion.
- Aerospace which include aeroplanes, jets, helicopters, gliders, missiles, and spaceships. Aerospace engineers are responsible for planning thorough aircraft maintenance programs and performing diligent environmental and safety controls. They also use their knowledge of electronic, electrical and computer systems for automatic control and communication systems for the operation of aircraft.
- Petroleum is the survey of the earth to find reservoirs for oil and gas; Design oil wells, storage tanks, and transportation systems; supervise the construction and operation of the oil and gas fields.
- Mining is the study of all phases of the extraction of mineral deposits from the earth. Mining engineers design the mines and associated equipment and supervise their construction and operation. They also work to reduce the environmental impact of mining.
- Nuclear is the utilizing of the power of the atom for the benefit of humanity. Nuclear engineers are looking for enough ways to capture and meaningfully use these tiny natural bursts of energy that are created by the breaking up of subatomic particles of molecules.
- Mechanical can help you develop a lock for a bicycle or an aircraft carrier, a children’s toy or a hybrid car engine, a wheelchair or a sailboat. Mechanical engineers are frequently referred to as general practitioners of the engineering profession because they work in almost every area of technology, from the aerospace and automotive industries to computers and biotechnology.
- Electrical could develop units for some of the fun things in our lives (MP3 players, digital cameras, or roller coasters) as well as the most essential ones (medical tests or communication systems).
- Shipping and Ocean Engineering are closely related and they deal with the construction of marine vehicles, marine propulsion systems, and ship structures such as docks, ports, and offshore drilling platforms.
- Civil Engineering makes you supervise the construction of the buildings and infrastructure that make up our world: roads, skyscrapers, railways, bridges, and water reservoirs, as well as some of the most spectacular and high-profile feats of mechanical engineering.
- Chemical helps to discover and produce better plastics, semiconductors, paints, fuels, fibres, drugs, fertilizers, paper, and everything else. Chemical engineers play a vital role in protecting the environment, inventing cleaner technologies, calculating environmental impacts, and studying the fate of chemicals in the environment.
The Worth of an Engineering Degree
Engineering professions will earn you the highest average starting salary year after year. Engineers have a minimum annual salary of $ 91,010, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), and the sector sees employment growth of almost 140,000 new jobs over the next decade.
You can also click here for more information.
Find more articles on Student Resources here