USA Visa Application 2022.
Do you want to apply for a US visa? Are having a hard time with the application process and requirements? Then this article is for you. The application for a US visa is not as difficult as it may seem; with a few guides and instructions, you will have an idea of how to apply for a US visa in your country.
They are different types of US visas and they all have different requirements that are needed to complete them.
This article will give you an idea of how to apply for a US visa; the requirements and documents needed; and also the types of US visas that are available.
The US visa is available in two categories which are; the immigrant visa and the non-immigrant visa.
Application for a visa would attract a fee; these fees are dependent on the type of visa that you are applying for. When applying for a US visa in Nigeria, certain requirements and documents will make you an eligible candidate for an interview.
Applying for a US visa in Nigeria can be done by filling an application form online. Below we are going to give you a guide on how to apply for US visa in Nigeria.
- 1 Step-by-step guide: Apply for a US visa in Nigeria
- 2 Types of US visas in Nigeria
Step-by-step guide: Apply for a US visa in Nigeria
The first step to take when applying for a US visa is to fill the online form. Below, we have provided a guide on how to fill the form.
- Visit the Nigerian Immigration website at portal.immigration.gov.ng
- Choose Entry Visa/Visa-free zone
- Enter the ‘processing country’ option, and then select the United States.
- From here, you can proceed to start the Application.
- The application for the US visa is available on the innovate 1 service website. This means that you will have to log in with a Gmail or Yahoo account if you have an existing account. If you have not created an account, then choose the open ID option to create a new account.
- Register your account with innovate 1 service and start the application.
- Select Washington DC as the processing office.
- Complete the online form (seven pages) and submit. Print out all the pages of the online form.
- After completing the form, you will receive an Application ID and a reference number
- The Application ID and reference number will be used to make the visa fee payments. You are to complete the payment using your Debit/credit card.
- Alternatively, you can make a payment using the money order. Innovate 1 service will send you a confirmation when they receive the money order.
- Finally, print out the payment slip and visa acknowledgment form.
After the application, you will schedule an appointment for an interview/biometric with the visa processing office.
NOTE: After you have submitted the application form, there will be no refund of the visa fee even if the visa is not granted. You can only cancel the application or ask for a refund if the applications have not been submitted. For this procedure, contact innovates 1 service.
Types of US visas in Nigeria
There are different types of US visas available and these visas depend on the purpose of your travel. The visa types are categorized into two; immigrant and nonimmigrant visas.
The non-immigrant visa includes the student visa, work visa, business visa, domestic employee, and transit visa.
On the other hand, an immigrant visa is for people looking to get a permanent resident in the United States.
Some of the most common types of US visas available a6re highlighted below
- Business/Tourist Visas; these are for individuals looking to travel to the United States for business (B-1 visa) or pleasure (B-2 visa).
- Work Visa; if you have a job offer in the United States, then this type of visa is for you. You can apply for a work permit visa. However, your employer must file a petition that must be approved by the United States Immigration Services.
- Student Visa; this is one of the most common types of U.S visas in Nigeria; a lot of students in Nigeria study in the U.S. The student visa is divided into the F-1 visa; for normal academic studies and the F-2 visa; which is for vocational studies.
Requirements for US visa
Every type of visa has different application requirements and documents. If you have the necessary documents, you can easily complete your application and stand a higher chance of getting your visa granted.
Below are the requirements for different types of U.S visas: you will need these documents to apply for US visa in Nigeria
- Business visa: The following documents are required for a business visa
- Current passport ( with at least a 6-month validity)
- Completed online application form
- Payment and acknowledgment slip
- 2 passport photographs
- A letter of invitation from the host company. The letter should contain the approval of handling the financial responsibilities; the purpose of the visit; and the duration of the visit.
- Letter of introduction from the applicant’s an organization/company
- Non-holders of U.S passports must provide papers of legal residency (green card, work permit, or resident visa)
- Tourist Visa: As a tourist, you will need the following documents to process your visa:
- A current passport ( with at least 6 months validity)
- Payment slip
- Online visa application form and acknowledgment slip
- 2 passport pictures
- Letter of invitation from the host accepting immigration responsibilities
- Data of host passport
- Hotel reservation; in cases where the applicant is not staying with the host
- Airline ticket for returns
- Non-holders of U.S passports must provide papers of legal residency (green card, work permit, or resident visa
- Student visa: The student visa is one of the most common visa types in Nigeria. Just like we mentioned earlier, a student visa can be categorized into two: The F-1 visa which is for academic studies in the United States. The F-2 is usually for vocation study or non-academic studies in the United States. Here are some important documents that you should have during the application process.
- A nonimmigrant application form
- A passport is permitted to travel to the United States. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months.
- A photograph (2” X 2”)
- Payment and acknowledgment slip
- An approved form from the U.S school program
You will also need to schedule an interview with the embassy processing office the application has been completed
These documents will be needed for the interview/biometrics
To apply for US visa in Nigeria for work, you need to be eligible; there are some qualifications you will need. Also, you must need proof of a job offer of your qualification (Degree or above) in the United States. Here are the documents required for a Work Visa in the United States;
- The visa application form
- A travel passport with a validity of at least 6 months
- A photograph (2” X 2”)
- Payment slip and acknowledgment slip
- Receipt number printed on your approved petition; this is the petition approved by your employer in the United States.
These documents are very important for each of the above types of visas.
Frequently Asked Questions and answers
How much is the US visa fee?
The US visa fee depends on the type of visa you are applying for. Different categories and types of visas will attract different prices. The fee for US visa in Nigeria is $160, $190, or $265 which in naira amounts to N67, 200, N79, 800, and N111, 300 respectively.
How long does it take to get a Visa from Nigeria to the USA?
For a non-immigrant visa, the visa application process takes around three working days before approval. Although you can apply three months before you intend to travel. It is advisable to apply as early as possible before your travel date.
How much do I need to have to apply for a US tourist visa?
One of the requirements of a tourist visa is a bank statement showing your financial records in the last three months. For a U.S tourist visa, you must have from $5, 000 to $10, 000 to apply.
Can I get a U.S visa without an interview?
You might qualify to get a U.S visa without an interview through your age. In other cases, if you are renewing your visa, then you might not need an interview. However, you must not have been denied approval before you are eligible to bypass an interview.
By now, I believe that you know how to apply for US visa in Nigeria and all the requirements needed for a US visa.