The American University Scholarship 2022/2023 application process has commenced. In this page, we will explain in detail this scholarship program, its benefits, and the step-by-step application process.
American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is fully-funded tuition, room, and board renewable scholarship for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU – academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement – the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision.
The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in their home country.
Only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for Fall 2022. If you are not selected as the 2022 AU EGL recipient and wish to continue the application process, you may be eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, you will need to submit proof of additional funds beyond the initial U.S.$4,000 you provided. Estimated costs for the 2022-2023 academic year are U.S.$70,464.
CHECK OUT THESE SCHOLARSHIPS
- Milton Fisher Scholarship
- Fully Funded Masters Scholarships in USA
- Fully Funded Undergraduate Scholarships in USA
- The Cameron Impact Scholarship
- Auburn University Scholarships for International Students
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships
- Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships
- IIE-SRF Fellowship
- Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship
- Eiffel Scholarship
American University Scholarships 2022 Summary
- Level of Study: Undergraduate
- Institution(s): American University, Washington DC, USA
- Study in: USA
American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship Benefits
The American University Scholarship Program will provide the recipient with the following benefits:
- The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board) for one international student who will need a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States.
- The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year).
Eligibility Criteria for American University Scholarships
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated secondary school earlier than 2020.
AU EGLS applicants must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2022. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Preferences will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English
- 65 minimum PTE
- 120+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 110 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2022.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2022.
Important: The AU EGLS selection process is most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common or Coalition Application, and international admissions process by December 15, 2021.
How to Apply for American University Scholarships for International Students 2022
- Complete the online AU EGLS application.
- Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be uploaded via your Future Eagle Portal or sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template
- Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results by December 15, 2021 at the latest. Please have official English proficiency score reports sent directly to American University Undergraduate Admissions.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2021, or by January 15, 2022 at the latest. Please note that preliminary AU EGLS application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$70,464). Students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You may request for the letter to be sent to [email protected] as a PDF.
- If you are not selected as one of the finalists, you may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC and eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, to continue the application process, you will need to submit proof of funds totaling U.S.$70,464 (estimated costs for first year of study).
Zoom interviews and additional essay submissions will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]
When is the American University Scholarship 2022 Application Deadline?
The closing date for the reception of completed application forms, together with certified copies of relevant certificates and documents, is no later than 1600 hrs on January 15.
Kindly add your email to get Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students in USA Updates.
Now It’s Your Turn
Now I’d like to hear from you:
Are you going to apply for the American University Scholarship for International Students 2022/2023 Right Away?
Or maybe you’re ready to start searching for other financial aid.
Either way, leave a comment below right now.