Mastercard Foundation is a global foundation based across four hubs in Kigali, Rwanda, Nairobi, Kenya, Accra, Ghana and Toronto, Canada. Our programs promote financial inclusion and advance education and learning in Africa, primarily for young people, and in Canada for Indigenous youth. The Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. From inception, the Foundation was designed to be a separate entity and independent from Mastercard. Our policies, operations, and funding decisions are made by our President and Board of Directors.
JOB TITLE: Head of Education Initiatives
JOB LOCATION: Nigeria
- We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
- The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment. Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators, young people, and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
- We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
Understanding Canada Programs at the Foundation:
- The Foundation has begun working within Canada in partnership with Indigenous communities and post-secondary institutions to listen, learn, and best understand how we can act in meaningful ways. The EleV strategy was co-created with Indigenous communities, young people, and partners to enable 30,000 Indigenous youth to complete their education and transition to dignified work aligned with their values and aspirations.
- As reflected in Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action, education is a key driver of improved socio-economic well-being. Through building partnerships with Indigenous communities, we look to expand our initiative ultimately helping to support a generation of transformative Indigenous young leaders who will be change agents within their communities.
- We believe that by setting a bold target, we will encourage engagement across sectors and create momentum that will elevate the strengths and opportunities of Indigenous youth. In keeping with our approach, Indigenous communities and young people will be the drivers of this transformation. The program will promote innovations to address longer-term systemic change to achieve economic prosperity and social well-being within Indigenous communities.
- The EleV team oversees current and emerging partnerships related to Indigenous education. Consistent with our overall vision and Youth Africa Works strategy, we will share learnings and opportunities to connect across the work of the Foundation. While operating in distinct contexts, the centrality of youth voice and vision, affirmation of culture and identity, and priority to enhance community capacity for self-determination are common threads upon which our work is strengthened and reinforced.
- If you are an experienced Education initiatives professional looking to increase your impact, read on!
- Reporting to the Director Human Capital Development, the Head of Education Initiatives will support Scholars Program, Country Offices and regional programs and partners to advance towards the full realization of Young Africa Works Strategy (YAW).
- He/she will also manage the development of the Education programs, partnerships, strategic Plans and annual workplans of Education Unit and ensure their alignment with critical aspects of Human Capital Development including budgeting and lead the integration of higher education initiatives with broader Scholars program and alignment with YAW strategy.
Ways You Can Contribute
- Identifies opportunities to create impact through education and developing interventions to provide access for Scholars program participants.
- Identifies collaboration opportunities within existing partner network and potential new partnerships.
- Leads the integration of higher education initiatives with broader Scholars program and alignment with YAW strategy.
- Provides support to partners and Scholars colleagues with implementation of higher education initiatives, including existing initiatives (i.e., Ruforum, FAWE Uganda), ensuring safeguarding high quality of experience for scholars.
- Manages relationships with senior stakeholders at educational institutions and the broader Scholars community.
- Coaches and mentors the staff of Education Unit.
- Manages workload of staff in Education.
- Drives and inspires technical excellence within the team.
- Leads her/his team to deliver results consistent.
Who You Are
- A Master’s Degree (Ph.D. preferred) in relevant field including Education, Economic Development or related Social Dciences field is required.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in a similar or related role in a fast-paced environment with local and multinational experience.
- Proven experience in secondary and tertiary education in various countries of Africa and beyond.
- Excellent operational skills covering education policy and education planning, and ability to lead complex policy and strategy dialogue.
- Excellent leadership and supervisory skills with established track record managing multi-location and virtual teams.
- Ability to influence dialogue and policy and its use in other sectors without direct control or authority.
- Excellent prioritization and managerial skills.
- Demonstrated in-depth experience and track record of results and successfully working across educational practices, disciplinary and institutional boundaries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good partnership experience, including involving multiple stakeholders – both public and private.
- Critical and analytical skills.
- Strong sense of strategy, including ability to prioritize and exit some activities.
- Have right attitudes and easy going.
- Detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to produce high quality work consistently and effectively.
- Able to work independently with little direction or supervision and possess the ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects and come up with clear and concise roadmaps.
- Achieve results and consistently strive to meet or exceed excellence standards.
- Think innovatively and propose new ideas, approaches and solutions to problems.
- Learn continuously and keep abreast of new developments in one’s professional area.
- Adapt with Agility and seamlessly adapt to working with new situations or contexts, with new people, and in different ways.
- Act with Determination and not give up in the face of adversity and setbacks; demonstrate resilience and composure.
- Engage, partner and demonstrate courage, self-motivation and initiative to act on opportunities without being prompted by others.
- Enable diversity and inclusion by accept and value all people, creating an inclusive environment.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
Note: To avoid missing email communication about your application, please check your spam/junk folder and mark our emails as “not junk”
|Job Category||Administrative / Secretarial / Personal Assistant (PA) / Clerical / Office Assistant Jobs in Nigeria|