NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society. With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement – all grounded in learning science – to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Manager, Measurement & Evaluation
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- The objective of the Academics group is to drive student achievement. To do so, we must know what is happening minute-by-minute for the typical child.
- The student’s daily experience, and thus the path to achievement, emerges from their relationship with the teachers and the content that is delivered in the classroom.
- Our team is collaboratively organized around these levers. We develop rigorous content pitched at the right level for students to be delivered by a teacher who is prepared to succeed in the classroom.
- Our Instructional Design department builds the content; our Leadership & Development department trains teachers and school leaders using scientifically-proven techniques; our Learning Innovation department looks at cutting-edge research to generate breakthrough learning gains.
- Underpinning all of this is the work of the independent Measurement and Evaluation group, which provides Academics with an empirical orientation toward improving that daily experience and, in turn, driving achievement.
Measurement & Evaluation
- The Measurement & Evaluation department at NewGlobe is housed within the Academics group and collaborates across teams to help leaders assess the quality of teaching and learning at NewGlobe. We work to answer the core questions of “How well are we doing?”, “Are we getting better?”, and “How can we get even better?”. We blend quantitative analyses with qualitative field work to measure what matters most, provide feedback to NewGlobe school leaders and managers, assess our impact on student learning, and communicate the results to various internal and external audiences.
- At the heart of our work is comparative analysis. We compare student learning at NewGlobe across time and place. In all of our locations, we examine how much faster NewGlobe students learn than their peers in similar schools. We examine how student performance today compares to student performance yesterday. We examine sub-groups of students to advance equity. We examine variability across our schools to determine which characteristics matter most to student learning. We help NewGlobe managers assess the impact of the changes they have made to accelerate learning.
- We take pride in providing rigorous measurement, study design, and analysis. We also take pride in our ability to communicate clearly in words, tables, and data visualizations. We intend our work to make a difference in how NewGlobe managers and our government partners think and act. We judge our own work accordingly.
- Collaboration sits at the heart of M&E at NewGlobe. We collaborate with our internal team members as well as with our government partners. With every product, we enter into a collaborative conversation with those who operate and those who study. M&E has established deep partnerships with the education ministries, with local research organizations, and with international researchers who focus on teaching and learning, especially those who focus on the aspects of schooling most relevant to the students we serve.
About the Role
- We are seeking full-time M&E Manager to join our team: people who are eager for a career where they can continue developing in the field of Measurement and Evaluation (M&E). In this role, every project that you will lead and provide support to —every data collection, analysis, visualization and reporting that you produce— will inform a decision to keep improving education for thousands of children at once.
- The M&E Manager will support two main strands of work, although they may also be required to engage in other work as needed. First, they will often lead a team of enumerators who collect data periodically and report to the M&E Director in Lagos (Nigeria). The M&E Manager are expected to execute M&E Plans as designed and approved by the respective programmes. As such, they will need to have extraordinary logistical and planning mindsets, as these rounds of data collection often involve balancing many responsibilities, priorities and stakeholder relationships at once. We are seeking M&E Manager who are able to effectively work with people from diverse backgrounds, think critically and make sound on-the-spot judgment calls for tricky methodological and logistical issues, and have a brilliant mind for people and processes.
- The data collection exercises where the M&E Manager will work often take place within our Nigerian territories (EdoBEST in Edo State, EKOEXCEL in Lagos State, KwaraLEARN in Kwara State, Bridge Academies in Lagos and Osun states, and in future launches in other states). As such, travel is required for the position.
- Besides leading routine data collections that are part of our main impact evaluations, the M&E Manager will support additional data collection, both quantitative and qualitative, as required by the team. They will conduct interviews, focus groups, and case studies; and they will often be in charge of synthesizing and writing their findings.
- The M&E Manager will report to the M&E Regional Director for Nigeria, and will work closely with the Vice President of M&E and the M&E Analysts in our global shared services.
What You Will Do
- Implement and Manage Plans for Execution of Research Studies. As part of the global M&E team, the M&E Manager will work closely with the M&E Director implementing and managing the plans for the execution of research studies (baseline, Midline and Endline). These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, implementing the soundness of and tradeoffs among choice of research design, sampling methods, selection of measures, creation of statistical models, data visualization, and mode of communications, managing M&E budgets, and developing assessment and data collection tools
- Establish Data collection and Monitoring Protocol. The M&E Manager will be responsible for establishing and enacting periodic data collection, monitoring and reporting protocols to ensure timely communications to relevant NewGlobe managers. The M&E Officers will conduct regular field visits to sampled schools during research studies to monitor data collection processes by enumerators and ensure current reporting targets and deliverables to ensure quality and timely data collection and reporting.
- Direct Data Enumerators. The M&E Manager will direct and coordinate M&E enumerators during research studies,Posting enumerators to to sampled schools for data collection, supporting in their training, instructing them on best practices in conducting pupil assessments using DIBELS, ICAN, EGRA, EGMA or any other education assessment tools and how to upload quality data online using ODK, KoBo Collect, Google Forms, etc. as well as reporting priorities and providing oversight during report production. The M&E Officers will support team members to ensure that they are correctly utilizing proper research methods and statistical models.
- Track the Use and Impact of M&E Products. To support organizational learning, the M&E Manager will study the use and impact of M&E Reports by NewGlobe leadership.
- Accommodate requests for quick data. Time-sensitive questions will come from the Director M&E or VP M&E and C-Level Executives, and usually take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. The M&E Manager will have to prompt in conducting field visits to conduct qualitative and quantitative surveys for pupils, teachers and headteachers including capturing of quality pictures and videos to back up surveys for M&E reports.
- For any project, be ready to propose a plan and execute. This includes creating a timeline, liaising with other departments to get the support you need, managing and motivating short-term staff members, figuring out how to get things done when things don’t go as planned, getting the data you need and getting it right, conducting analyses, framing the results, and answer any and all questions about your work.
What You Should Have
- A University Degree – ideally (but not necessarily) in a relevant academic discipline, such as Computer Science, Education, Economics, Public Policy, Business, or Statistics with at least 5 years experience in M&E, Research or project Management
- Organization skills – to successfully direct and oversee all quality assurance procedures and coordinate production processes you should have strong organization skills
- Communication skills – to provide reports to production managers and business leaders to influence decision-making you will need effective verbal and written communication skills
- Technical skills – to develop, refine, and troubleshoot data collection and reporting tools.
- Familiarity with data management and analysis tools like ODK, KoBo Collect, Survey CTO, Qualtrics, Excel, Stata, Tableau, SAS, or R.
- Global team management experience – to direct, mentor, and oversee members of the Data & Analytics team, you should possess effective leadership, coordination, and motivation skills
- Passion – for NewGlobe’s mission.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
Application Closing Date
31st October, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Job Category||Managerial Jobs in Nigeria|